From: "Jerry van Dijk" <jvandyk@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: DOS interrupts with GNAT 3.04
Date: 1996/12/25
Date: 1996-12-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu> wrote in article
<dewar.851440688@merv>...

> > I am wondering if there are any provisions (aside from interfacing to
another
> > programming language) in this Ada compiler to access the software
interrupts
> > in DOS.

> The best way to put together a package like that would be to generate
> the necessary int sequences directly using package Machine_Code. Of
course
> this is only done once in the body of the package.

Hmmmm, I didn't know 3.04 for DOS supported Machine_Code...

But even the I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. On a 16-bit real-mode
compiler, this would be easy.. On a 32-bit protected mode compile (&
runtime)
your code would also have to handle the mode switches (RM<->PM), transfer,
callbacks, etc.

Better use the existing DJGPP code.

As far as fast character I/O under DOS is concerned, If someone has some
server
space left, I have some usefull packages...

Merry Christmas!
Jerry.