* Ada and CGI programming
@ 1996-11-06  0:00 Neil O'Brien
From: Neil O'Brien @ 1996-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

this is a call for Robert Eachus, can you contact me please. I had an
email discussion with someone from comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
regards doing this, a colleague was aware of this and passed me the
following:

>   Tucker Taft (stt@DSD.CAMB.INMET.COM) said:
>
>  > Admittedly, if there is no mandate for a particular technology
>  > in a particular domain, then a business case must be made for the
>  > use of one technology over another.  I certainly expect and hope
>  > that Ada will continue to be used in many domains that don't relate
>  > even vaguely to war-fighting.  That doesn't necessarily mean it
should
>  > be mandated in all such domains.
>
>  One that has pleasantly surprised me recently is the use of Ada for
>cgi scripts.  Much, much easier on the head than /bin/sh or perl5, and
>the code is the same size or smaller.  The "neat trick" that makes it
>all work is to get and use the uncgi tool to unpack the href into
>environment variables.
>

>                                        Robert I. Eachus
>
>with Standard_Disclaimer;
>use  Standard_Disclaimer;
>function Message (Text: in Clever_Ideas) return Better_Ideas is...

I think you would be interested in the discussion I had, I looked through
all the CLA messages available to me but couldn't see any from you. Can
you email me (or call), the discussion probably belongs here eventually
but I think it needs a bit of investigation first.

thanks,

Neil O'Brien			obrien@east.thomsoft.com
Customer Support		(617) 221 7320
Thomson Software Products

subscribe intel-objectada (or unix-objectada) <your email>
send your email to majordomo@east.thomsoft.com with a
blank subject line and the subscribe command in the body

"I went back to my hotel and intended to watch Tottenham -
but I fell asleep" - Arsene Wenger

* Re: Ada and CGI programming
@ 1996-11-07  0:00 ` Stephen M O'Shaughnessy
From: Stephen M O'Shaughnessy @ 1996-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bbcbe5.d26f9d20$fc899dc0@fielding.east.aonix.com>,
obrien@east.thomsoft.com says...

>Hi,
>
>this is a call for Robert Eachus, can you contact me please. I had an
>email discussion with someone from comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
>regards doing this, a colleague was aware of this and passed me the
>following:

***snip***

>>  One that has pleasantly surprised me recently is the use of Ada for
>>cgi scripts.  Much, much easier on the head than /bin/sh or perl5, and
>>the code is the same size or smaller.  The "neat trick" that makes it
>>all work is to get and use the uncgi tool to unpack the href into
>>environment variables.

***snip***

Please post. I would be very interested to see this discussion.

* Re: Ada and CGI programming
@ 1996-11-08  0:00 ` Robert Munck
From: Robert Munck @ 1996-11-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Tucker Taft (stt@DSD.CAMB.INMET.COM) (or maybe Robert Eachus) said:
> ... that has pleasantly surprised me recently is the use of Ada for
>cgi scripts.  Much, much easier on the head than /bin/sh or perl5, and
>>the code is the same size or smaller.

I'm now writing web apps in PL/SQL for the Oracle WebServer.  It may
surprise many of you to learn that PL/SQL is based on Ada (+ SQL),
though it's drastically cut down.  The C++ programmers in cubicles
around mine are amazed at the implementation speed, readability,
modifiability, etc. of the code.  Overloading just blows them away.

PL/SQL code is compiled into a p-code that is stored in the database
that you're accessing, and executed by the DB server.  Wouldn't it
be wonderful if Oracle could upgrade their p-code interpreter to
handle java bytecodes and the Ada95 compilers became the
front-end of choice because of all the existing PL/SQL?

Btw, I've written a package that supports generating HTML dynamically
using data retrieved from the DB.  It's in PL/SQL, but could be Ada
with a few minor changes.  Anyone interested?  I "wrote" the
package by processing the SGML DTD for HTML3.2, so it supports
the entirety of the most current HTML definition.  Tables, frames,
the whole bit.

Bob Munck