From: Neil O'Brien <obrien@east.thomsoft.com>
Subject: Ada and CGI programming
Date: 1996/11/06
Date: 1996-11-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

this is a call for Robert Eachus, can you contact me please. I had an
email discussion with someone from comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
regards doing this, a colleague was aware of this and passed me the
following:

>   Tucker Taft (stt@DSD.CAMB.INMET.COM) said:
>
>  > Admittedly, if there is no mandate for a particular technology
>  > in a particular domain, then a business case must be made for the
>  > use of one technology over another.  I certainly expect and hope
>  > that Ada will continue to be used in many domains that don't relate
>  > even vaguely to war-fighting.  That doesn't necessarily mean it
should
>  > be mandated in all such domains.
>
>  One that has pleasantly surprised me recently is the use of Ada for
>cgi scripts.  Much, much easier on the head than /bin/sh or perl5, and
>the code is the same size or smaller.  The "neat trick" that makes it
>all work is to get and use the uncgi tool to unpack the href into
>environment variables.
>

>                                        Robert I. Eachus
>
>with Standard_Disclaimer;
>use  Standard_Disclaimer;
>function Message (Text: in Clever_Ideas) return Better_Ideas is...

I think you would be interested in the discussion I had, I looked through
all the CLA messages available to me but couldn't see any from you. Can
you email me (or call), the discussion probably belongs here eventually
but I think it needs a bit of investigation first.

thanks,

Neil O'Brien			obrien@east.thomsoft.com
Customer Support		(617) 221 7320
Thomson Software Products

subscribe intel-objectada (or unix-objectada) <your email>
send your email to majordomo@east.thomsoft.com with a
blank subject line and the subscribe command in the body

"I went back to my hotel and intended to watch Tottenham -
but I fell asleep" - Arsene Wenger