From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: How to set stack size of main task?
Date: 1996/10/02
Date: 1996-10-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen & Tammy House <house@ro.com> wrote in article
<3251CF5F.50B@ro.com>...
> The main task stack size in Ada83 is determined by the RTS and or the
> OS.  Under unix, the shell has stack size limits set (see the limit
> command).  I'm not sure, but I doubt that Ada95 has done anything about
> this.  Tasks are set up by the RTS, but there is no hook to the main
> thread since it is started by the OS's loader.
>
> Of course, you don't need to have to matrix allocated on the program
> stack.  Create the object on the heap with an access type.  There still
> might be problems with the compiler when objects get very large.  Check
> around in package System for data record size limits.  And, of course,
> even the heap has its limits, virtual memory or no.

Please allow me to correct.  The main program stack in VADS, e.g., is set
by a
configurable parameter in the v_usr_conf_b.a package body source file.
There are other
configurable parameters there, such as the default storage_size for tasks,
etc.  Other
toolsets provide similar things.
In gnat for WinNT, Windows95, it is controlled by the specs file in either
the gnu_ld
or the ms_lnk directories, depending on the linker you're using.
--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com