* Programming for MS-Windows
@ 1996-09-16  0:00 Marc
From: Marc @ 1996-09-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all !

I am looking for a textbook that might explain how to write MS-Windows
applications. I have some (DOS-praogramming) experience in ADA, C and
Fortran77, but the step from programming DOS applications to Windows
applications seems quite huge to me.
All the information I have found about writing Windows-stuff, was
related to learning C++, something I do not intend right now.

Any information ist welcome, e-mail to

marc@infaut.et.uni-magdeburg.de

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
     Marc

* Re: Programming for MS-Windows
@ 1996-09-16  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1996-09-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc wrote:
> I am looking for a textbook that might explain how to write MS-Windows
> applications. I have some (DOS-praogramming) experience in ADA, C and
> Fortran77, but the step from programming DOS applications to Windows
> applications seems quite huge to me.
> All the information I have found about writing Windows-stuff, was
> related to learning C++, something I do not intend right now.

I just picked up a copy of "Programming Windows 95" by Charles Petzold,
from Microsoft Press. He explains how Windows works, using C code as
examples. No C++, no GUI builders, no IDEs to get in the way. Given a
thin Ada binding to the Windows API, this is the book you want.

--
- Stephe

* Re: Programming for MS-Windows
@ 1996-09-17  0:00   ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1996-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> Marc wrote:
> > I am looking for a textbook that might explain how to write MS-Windows
> > applications. I have some (DOS-praogramming) experience in ADA, C and
> > Fortran77, but the step from programming DOS applications to Windows
> > applications seems quite huge to me.
> > All the information I have found about writing Windows-stuff, was
> > related to learning C++, something I do not intend right now.
> >

> I just picked up a copy of "Programming Windows 95" by Charles Petzold,
> from Microsoft Press. He explains how Windows works, using C code as
> examples. No C++, no GUI builders, no IDEs to get in the way. Given a
> thin Ada binding to the Windows API, this is the book you want.

By the way, we have converted the Petzold
examples into Ada 95 and include them with
ObjectAda for Windows.

-- Dave Wood
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- Thomson Software Products
-- http://www.thomsoft.com

* Re: Programming for MS-Windows
@ 1996-09-17  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1996-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc <marc@infaut.et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote in article
<323D9F00.2F6@infaut.et.uni-magdeburg.de>...
> Hi all !
>
> I am looking for a textbook that might explain how to write MS-Windows
> applications.
Hi Marc,
You probably want a book like Sams Publishing's Win 32 API Desktop
Reference (ISBN 0-672-30364-7).
This describes all of the Win32 function calls (in terms of their C
interface) as of 1993, plus providing tutorial examples.
This book, coupled with the easy interface to C from Ada95 (e.g. gnat)
should give you what you need.

Also, you should consult the Web Page
"http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/source-code/bindings/win32ada/win32a
da.html" for an Ada binding to the Win32 API, and additional information
about what it takes to do Windows programming in Ada.
--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com

* Re: Programming for MS-Windows
@ 1996-09-17  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to program Windows applications in Ada the "easy" way, try
IntegrAda for Windows & Visual Ada.  You get a visual design tool and
source code generator plus the ability to write "object oriented" functions
& procedures such as "CREATE_WINDOW" or "OPEN_FILE" and each of these high
level calls will take the place of the 30-40 lines of code you would
otherwise have to write if you were using 'C' or other Ada Windows
compilers.

Plus the sophisticated Ada language sensitive tools bundled with the
development environment take the pain out of programming.  They are not a
replacement for "skill", but they can make up for a lot.

This system is also great for rapid prototyping and proof of concept work
because you can quickly produce functioning demonstrations of your
application.

Why not visit The Home of PCADA at "http://www.pcada.com" and see for
yourself.  IntegrAda for Windows and Visual Ada demo disks are available
for FREE download right from the WEB site.

Take advantage of our special offers and save some money while getting
state-of-the-art Ada compilers and tools.

--
Jim Dorman
Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.

@ 1996-09-18  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-09-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <323F0451.2FDF@thomsoft.com>, Dave Wood <dpw@thomsoft.com> writes:
> Stephen Leake wrote:
>>
>> Marc wrote:
>> > I am looking for a textbook that might explain how to write MS-Windows
>> > applications. I have some (DOS-praogramming) experience in ADA, C and
>> > Fortran77, but the step from programming DOS applications to Windows
>> > applications seems quite huge to me.
>> > All the information I have found about writing Windows-stuff, was
>> > related to learning C++, something I do not intend right now.
>> >

>> I just picked up a copy of "Programming Windows 95" by Charles Petzold,
>> from Microsoft Press. He explains how Windows works, using C code as
>> examples. No C++, no GUI builders, no IDEs to get in the way. Given a
>> thin Ada binding to the Windows API, this is the book you want.
>>

> By the way, we have converted the Petzold
> examples into Ada 95 and include them with
> ObjectAda for Windows.

Thank you !!!

Larry Kilgallen