* OpenAda
@ 1996-09-02  0:00 Whistler
From: Whistler @ 1996-09-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I desperately need Open Ada PC, for a computer programing class.  It is an
Ada compiler.  Whatever that is.  All I know is that I really need it.
Anyone who knows where I can get it, and what its for, please e-mail me
right away.  It is made by
Meridian Software Systems.

Sincerely...Adam Conde
conde@ucla.edu

* Re: OpenAda
@ 1996-09-03  0:00 ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-09-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Whistler" <conde@ucla.edu> wrote
> I desperately need Open Ada PC ...
> It is an Ada compiler.  Whatever that
> is. ... Anyone who knows where I can
> get it, and what it's for, please e-mail me
     An Ada compiler is a program that translates the Ada programming
language to the language of your machine, in this case a PC, so that it
can run programs written in Ada.  Ada is, in my opinion, the very best
programming language because it's less error prone than other programming
languages.
     Meridian Software Systems, who made Open Ada PC, no longer exists.
However, the Open Ada PC compiler is now sold by D.C. Heath Co., 2700 N.
Richardt Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46219-1186 for $66.67 plus tax and
shipping.
Phone 800-334-3284, 800-428-8071, 317-359-5585, or 617-862-6650,
fax 800-824-7390.
     For more information about Ada, visit the Web or FTP site below my
signature and download my Ada Tutor program.
     You'll like programming in Ada, and you'll find the people here in
comp.lang.ada eager to help.
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: OpenAda
@ 1996-09-03  0:00   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1996-09-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,
Just one small correction.  Meridian merged with Verdix in about 1993, and
Verdix merged with Rational in 1994.
Last time I talked to them the (former) Meridian folks were handling sales
and some development on the VADS NT product.  Whether this is still true, I
don't know.
--
David C. Hoos, Sr.,
http://www.dbhwww.com

John Herro <johnherro@aol.com> wrote in article
<50gngv$jkt@newsbf02.news.aol.com>...

@ 1996-09-04  0:00     ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> writes:
> Hi John, Just one small correction.  Meridian
> merged with Verdix in about 1993, and Verdix
> merged with Rational in 1994.
     Thanks for the corrected information!
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
MUSIC is easier to read when written in C.
SOFTWARE is easier to read when written in Ada.

* Re: OpenAda
@ 1996-09-06  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-09-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the record, OpenAda was Meridian Software's attempt to use Ada to
program Windows applications.  It didn't work too well from what I heard,
however, since it's no longer available the point is mute.

You might want to visit our WEB site and see what your current choices are
in a PC Ada marketplace.  The address is "http://www.pcada.com".   After
Meridian got bought and then Verdix got bought, the PC compiler dropped by
the wayside and the nice folks up there started sending their students to
us.

If you want to write Ada programs for DOS or Windows, use a DOS or Windows
environment with Ada sensitive tools and "ready-made" libraries, and even
visual design tools and CBT Ada tutorials, you can find what you want.

Stop by and browse around.  Brochures are "online" and "demo disks" can be
easily downloaded with a link to our FTP Site.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

--
Jim Dorman
Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.

Whistler <conde@ucla.edu> wrote in article