* How do I start: Learning Ada?
@ 1996-08-27  0:00 AGBOH CHARLES
From: AGBOH CHARLES @ 1996-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anybody out there who can help me learn Ada?  What should I
be reading for understanding how tha langugae reallly wordks?

Help!

charles

* Re: How do I start: Learning Ada?
@ 1996-08-27  0:00 ` Ian Ward
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Ward @ 1996-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article i1u@rc1.vub.ac.be, cagboh@vub.ac.be (AGBOH CHARLES) writes:
>Anybody out there who can help me learn Ada?  What should I
>be reading for understanding how tha langugae reallly wordks?
>

>Help!
>
>charles

What have you done before? What experience to you have,
it is not easy to think of the best way for you to learn
without some knowledge of your strong points.

---
Ian Ward's opinions only : wardi@rsd.bel.alcatel.be

* Re: How do I start: Learning Ada?
@ 1996-08-27  0:00 ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-08-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

cagboh@vub.ac.be (AGBOH CHARLES) writes:
> Anybody out there who can help me
> learn Ada?  What should I be reading
> for understanding how the langugae
> reallly works?
     At the Web site and the FTP site below my signature, you can download
my shareware Ada Tutor program.  It runs under DOS (or a DOS partition in
Windows) without an Ada compiler, and on almost any other platform with an
Ada compiler, because Ada source code is included.
     For a textbook, I strongly recommend RENDEZVOUS WITH ADA 95 by David
Naiditch, published by John Wiley and Sons.  There's a coupon at the Web
and FTP sites mentioned, which you can print and send directly to Wiley
and Sons.  (I have to admit to a *very small* financial interest if you
buy the book using this coupon, but I have no financial interest if you
get the book any other way.  I think it's an *excellent* textbook.)
     There's also a free Ada tutorial by David Wheeler called Lovelace, at
http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace.  It's written in HTML, and
you run it with your Web browser while visiting that site.  (You can also
download it and run it with your Web browser offline.)
     I hope this helps.  You'll find that Ada catches errors at compile
time that other languages catch only at run time, or not at all.  Also,
Ada programs are easier to read, and easier to modify a month or a year
later.  You'll really like Ada!
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: How do I start: Learning Ada?
@ 1996-08-28  0:00 ` Christian Bruel
From: Christian Bruel @ 1996-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

AGBOH CHARLES wrote:

> Anybody out there who can help me learn Ada?  What should I
> be reading for understanding how tha langugae reallly wordks?
>
> Help!
>
> charles

Hello,

here is how I've started learning ADA one week ago on linux :

1) get and install gnat (you need to have gcc already installed)
one of the place is ftp://ftp.cnam.fr/pub/Ada/PAL/compiler/gnat

2) learn how to compile and link a simple hello.adb program.
you should find the documentation in the gnat directory.

3) there is a very nice on line tutorial called 'lovelace',
a link is http://lglsun.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm

4) buy a book and play with bigger projects, not just read them.

you should be all set,

  christian

* Re: How do I start: Learning Ada?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-08-30  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could use a commercial CBT program to teach yourself Ada.  LearnAda is
such a COTS program that has been around for years.  It's a standalone
program that is entirely menu driven, with 28 lessons that teach over 200
concepts in Ada.  Most of the lessons have "fill-in-the-blank-exercises".
It comes with a production-quality compiler that will run on any IBM/PC
with 640KB RAM.  You can even run it in a DOS Window under Windows or Unix
sytems.

For more information or pricing you can visit our WEB Site at:
http://www.pcada.com.

Good Luck with your training!  I'm sure you will find, like the rest of us,
that Ada will be the language of choice, not just mandate!
--
Jim Dorman
Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.

AGBOH CHARLES <cagboh@vub.ac.be> wrote in article