From: John Stoneham <captnjameskirk@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: using svn in GPS on Windows == wonky
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 15:45:35 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2007-12-09T15:45:35-08:00	[thread overview]

On Dec 9, 1:58 pm, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:
> John Stoneham a écrit :
>
> > Wow, I'm sorry but I think that's being a bit cavalier. I see four
> > things wrong: 1) the assumption that "most people" using a pre-built,
> > native Windows binary of GPS are using cygwin;
>
> Many people I know are using the binary distribution of GPS but the
> first thing they install on their Windows box to start working is
> Cygwin. And not only for Subversion, but for ssh, rsync, scp, X11, bash,
> xterm, emacs, awk, sed... And not for building GPS but for working on
> their daily projects.

Good for them. But I doubt this small sample represents the majority
of users downloading the pre-built GPL Windows binary.

> > 2) the docs still state
> > that "System_Default" is the path_style default when it has been
> > changed to "CYGWIN";
>
> You are speaking of the value set by default. The doc state the default
> value (when no value is specified). The doc is not for the Subversion,
> CVS or any other supplied VCS but for writing a new VCS yourself. And
> yes when no value is specified then System_Default is used. That's true,
> the doc is correct.

What do you call the value that is already set when a program is
installed? I'd say that's called a "default value", wouldn't you?
Regardless, you are saying that the internal "default value", when no
value is specified, is deemed to be "System_Default". That sounds like
a very important value if it's picked to be the default. But even so,
the value as shipped is *not* "System_Default", and there is no
documentation to that effect, and no documentation on which file is
affected or where it is located.

> > 3) there is nothing in a README file or anywhere
> > else that says "If you are not running Cygwin you need to edit
> > path_style"; and
>
> No need for that, see below.

Again, this is just being cavalier. See below.

> > 4) there is no option within GPS itself to change it
> > (at least not in the most recently-available GPL binary).
>
> That's indeed the case. In recent version of GPS you can chose the
> Subversion mode you want (Cygwin or Native).

There most certainly is a need for it, since the most current binary
GPL edition is the one I'm discussing and the one affected. I guess
you're speaking of the "Pro" product, or maybe a snapshot build. I'm
glad to see the issue has been addressed, even if it's not yet
available in the pre-built GPL edition. Evidently I wasn't the only
one who had a problem with it.