From: David Kristola <David95037@See-My.Sig>
Subject: Re: Ada subset for microcontrollers
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 13:51:30 -0700
Date: 2001-05-20T13:51:30-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 20 May 2001 8:28:51 -0700, Tor Fredrik Aas wrote
(in message <9e8nem$lvn$1@snipp.uninett.no>):

> AFAIK the RCX uses a Hitachi H8 controller. I might be possible to run the
> same code on larger controllers, even SH-8.

The Lego RCX uses a special byte code interpreter that was designed to
work in the Lego environment.  The last time i checked, the Ada subset
compiler for the RCX really generated NQC (Not Quite C, a C subset
invented by David Baum to program the RCX).  NQC compiles down to the
byte code used by the RCX.  Perhaps the latest version of the
Ada-to-RCX compiler does the same thing.  However, since the firmware
that runs inside the RCX is proprietary, and the license only allows me
to copy it to my RCX, and the environment would undoubtedly be
different if i used an SH-8...  I'm not sure i can get to where i want
to go by that route.

It would be an interesting project to create my own Ada-subset compiler
for a microcontroller, but i just don't have the time.

--
   --djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
   --Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line