From: David Kristola <David95037@See-My.Sig>
Subject: Re: Code Generation Question
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 4:36:18 -0800
Date: 2001-03-17T04:36:18-08:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 3:16:22 -0800, Florian Weimer wrote
(in message <87elvw4pdl.fsf@deneb.enyo.de>):

> claveman@cod.nosc.mil (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
>> This causes quite a bit of problem, as you might guess when you re-
>> flect on it for a minute.  Whenever the module is modified (fortunately,
>> it's now pretty stable), we have to investigate the code generated by
>> the compiler to verify that there are no byte reads or writes to the
>> board's memory.  If there are, we have to figure out a way to trick the
>> compiler into not doing it.
>
> Using machine code insertions is another possibility.

Combine this (machine code insertions) with Jeff Creem's answer, and
you will have (IMHO) the best solution.  Since you are working with
picky hardware, use the power of machine code insertion to insure the
access operations you need.  Isolate this in a package for easy
maintenance and to help portability (since this part probably isn't
portable anyway, but that's okay, it is isolated, and it is meant to
work with a particular card in your PowerPC VME system).

--
--djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line