From: David Kristola <David95037@See-My.Sig>
Subject: Re: Ada compiler for microcontrolers ?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 1:58:27 -0800
Date: 2000-12-24T01:58:27-08:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:11:27 -0800, Hans-Olof Danielsson wrote
(in message <00c701c06c6d$a7c1b9a0$347a97d4@d1>):

> Hi.
>
> I would like to use restricted Ada for programming of microcontrolers like
> M68HC16 and PIC16Cxxx with a GPL:ed Ada compiler system. Where can I find
> one?
>
> I suppose there is none. The question is then how to get such a compiler
> system ?
>
> !) Port GNAT/gcc.
>
> 2) Modify ada2nqc in Ada/Mindstorms ( see Ada Letters, sept 2000 ).
>
> Or what? Are you aware of other reuse possibilities?
>
> I would like to hear your opinion in this subject.

Since you asked for an opinion...  I would love to see an Ada subset
compiler for various microcontrollers.  I even thought it would be
an interesting project to work up such a compiler for my Lego RCX.
However, i just don't have the time, and there are a few other
projects on my list ahead of this one.

Ada2nqc and NQC might be a starting point.  I think NQC's compiler
is available in source form.  It might be possible to merge the
two compilers together to go directly from an Ada subset to the
RCX byte code.

--
--djk, keeper of arcane lore & trivial fluff
Home: David95036 plus 1 at america on-line