From: David Kristola <David95037@See-My.Sig>
Subject: Re: Top 10 Language Constructs (Ada)
Date: 2000/07/14
Date: 2000-07-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 1:40:45 -0700, Bruno Gustavs wrote
(in message <8kmjja$l5h$1@pollux.ip-plus.net>):

> What do you think are the top ten language constructs in Ada?
> Please don't answer in terms of OO concepts, but try to restrict
> yourself to those statements you really use to cope with your
> daily work.
>
> Curious why I'm asking this question? In spite of all requirements
> engineering effort we know exactly *how* to solve problems
> with computer languages but know fairly, *what* we're doing
> during this process.
>
> Regards
> Bruno Gustavs

(It is almost light out, and i am avoiding going to sleep for
reasons well beyond the scope of this news group, so please
be advised that my answer should be taken with a grain of
salt.  ;-)

I'm not sure what you mean by language constructs, and even
if i knew what you meant, i'm not sure there is any way to
prioritize them so that i could give you the top ten.

If this fits the description of a language construct...
Currently, i am fascinated by fixed point types (they are
really very interesting) and reference counting smart
pointers (very powerful).  I have found that bit buckets
can decouple otherwise hoplessly intertwined systems.

I know what i am doing during the process.  I am usually
consuming a beverage (often with caffeine).  Sometimes
i have music playing (but i rarely listen to the music).
I am constructing virtual machines that manupulate data
across time and space (memory or communications hardware).
I am weighing alternatives, considering threads of
executions, and contemplating puzzles with complex
interlocking peices.  I am trying to reduce that complexity
to the lowest level, to what is only inherent in the
problem domain.  Sometimes i add complexity, turn the
problem over in my mind, and see an even simpler way
to address it (thus removing more complexity then was
just added).

Sometimes, i even stop and wonder why they pay me so well
to do a job that is so fun.  Then i remember the impossible
schedules, the endless meetings, the ever changing
requirements, and the idiotic constraints and wonder why i
work there when they are paying me so little.

--djk