From: "James Burnell, WVU Comp/Ele Engr" <UN025523@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU>
Subject: Re: INFO-ADA Digest V91 #174
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1991 16:59 EDT	[thread overview]

INFO-ADA-REQUEST@AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU( 21-JU writes:

>TECO was invented at MIT back in the 60's.  I doubt you could
>find a running TECO any more, but it was widely available (from
>DECUS) on DEC PDP series machines as recently as 1980 at least.
>The original EMACS was written in TECO; in fact, the name stands
>for Editing MACroS, since EMACS was just a set of TECO macros
>for keeping the screen continuously updated.  If you remember
>TECO, you're a Pretty Old Programmer (Not Real Old, but Pretty
>Old).  Or maybe you just started young ...   ;-)

>From our local Helpfile (VAX/VMS 5.4-1):

EDIT

  /TECO

       Invokes the TECO interactive text editor. The /TECO qualifier is
       required.

       Format

         EDIT/TECO  [filespec]

         EDIT/TECO/EXECUTE=command-file  [argument]
|  James D. Burnell, West Virginia University undergrad  | %MAIL-W-NODISC,   |
|  Computer/Electrical Engineering Major                 |  file MAIL_DIR:   |
|  Internet : UN025523@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU                  |  DISCLAIMER.TXT   |
|  BITNET   : UN025523@WVNVMS                            |  not found.       |