* Re: Java vs Ada 95 (Was Re: Once again,Ada absent from DoD SBIR
@ 1996-10-21  0:00 Simon Johnston
From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Stanbrough wrote:
> " To which I would add "hierarchical package system", though I'm sure =
someone
>   out there must feel that this is also bad! This would approximate my =
short
>   list of Ada advantages over Java. Besides GC, which is arguable, no =
one has
>   listed any *language* advantages of Java over Ada."
>=20
> I think Interfaces are a _very_ nice feature.

Yep, good feature and in fact it would be nice to have in Ada 95, though =
it would say that a more important point is the lack of generics in =
Java.
=20
>=20
> Dale
>=20
>=20
with StandardDisclaimer; use StandardDisclaimer;
package Sig is
--,----------------------------------------------------------------------=
---.
--|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail =
Systems |
--|-----------------------------------------------------|3/4 Willoughby =
Road|
--|Internet : skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell       =

--|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire       =

--|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ        =

--|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom  =

--`----------------------------------------------------------------------=
---'
end Sig;

From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony wrote:
> In article <dewar.845558614@merv> dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>
> > For those supporting the idea of an Annex requiring garbage collection, by
> > far the most constructive action, far more useful than posting messages
> > to CLA, would be to draft such an annex. If you can get something which
> > people agree on as making technical sense, then the next step would be to
> > get some implementors to implement it, and perhaps to add it to ACE.
>
> Well, now we're talking!  Perhaps a mailing list would be a good first
> step?  I'd certainly be willing to help and be involved in this.

Sounds very interesting, let me know if such a list gets off the ground.

--|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail Systems |
--|Internet : skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell          |
--|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire          |
--|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ           |
--|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom     |
end Sig;