* Re: What about Ada?
@ 1996-08-06  0:00 Simon Johnston
From: Simon Johnston @ 1996-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi there,
> I signed onto this list to find out what Ada is about. But so far saw
> only Psacal vs. C vs. Assembler...?
> I use Borland Pascal 7.0 and assembler a lot. But it has limitations.

> -What would be the reasons for me to use Ada?
> -How portable is it?
> -Are there "Integerated Developers enviroments" available?
> -Does it use DOS Seg:Ofs memory scheme's, PMode, 32-bit flat?
> -Can you use it in Windows? For windows?
> -How good is it's database support?
> -Does it allow function and operator overloading?
> -How optimised/fast is the code it produces?
> Someone remarked on the list that Ada does not allow Macro's, but does
> give you the option of using OOP or Procedural. Just like macro's can be
> abused, so can OOP, and I would like to have liked the option of using
> macros. (Pascal does not allow it either:-(

> I know I could have found these answers in books as well, but can you
> imagine investing in something that will not even do what you can do
> already?

with StandardDisclaimer; use StandardDisclaimer;
package Sig is
--,-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
--|Simon K. Johnston - Development Engineer (C++/Ada95) |ICL Retail Systems |
--|-----------------------------------------------------|3/4 Willoughby Road|
--|Unix Mail: skj@acm.org                               |Bracknell          |
--|Telephone: +44 (0)1344 476320 Fax: +44 (0)1344 476302|Berkshire          |
--|Internal : 7261 6320   OP Mail: S.K.Johnston@BRA0801 |RG12 8TJ           |
--|WWW URL  : http://www.acm.org/~skj/                  |United Kingdom     |
end Sig;

* What about Ada?

[...]