* ANN: SparForte 1.3 (Release Candidate)
@ 2012-02-04 22:37 Master of Magic
From: Master of Magic @ 2012-02-04 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

SparForte 1.3 (Release Candidate)
    Type : Programming Language
Platforms: Linux i386/x86_64/Alpha and FreeBSD
  License: GPL

  Home URL: http://www.pegasoft.ca/sparforte.html
Source URL: https://github.com/kburtch/SparForte

SparForte is an Ada-based command shell, template engine and scripting
language.  There are 23 built-in
packages and more than 80 example scripts.

The sources on GitHub should be considered a release candidate for
version 1.3.  If you are interested, please try it out and notify me
of any bugs you find.

Changes in Version 1.3

- with separate (that is, include files)
- new memcache packages
- new JSON functions and related pragmas
- support for unit testing

See ChangeLog in the sources for a complete list.

Started in 2001 as the Business Shell, SparForte is an open project
project.  Because I'm working on this in my spare time, let me know if
you find SparForte useful.  Volunteers are encouraged to contribute
examples, tutorials, new built-in packages, post examples to Rosetta
Code, etc.

Ken B.
Application Architect, Toronto, Canada

* Re: ANN: SparForte 1.3 (Release Candidate)
@ 2012-02-06 23:47 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2012-02-06 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 4, 3:37 pm, Master of Magic <kobur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SparForte 1.3 (Release Candidate)
>     Type : Programming Language
> Platforms: Linux i386/x86_64/Alpha and FreeBSD
>   License: GPL
>
>   Home URL:http://www.pegasoft.ca/sparforte.html
> Source URL:https://github.com/kburtch/SparForte
>
> SparForte is an Ada-based command shell, template engine and scripting
> language.  There are 23 built-in
> packages and more than 80 example scripts.
>
> The sources on GitHub should be considered a release candidate for
> version 1.3.  If you are interested, please try it out and notify me
> of any bugs you find.
>
> Changes in Version 1.3
>
> - with separate (that is, include files)
> - new memcache packages
> - new JSON functions and related pragmas
> - support for unit testing
>
> See ChangeLog in the sources for a complete list.
>
> Started in 2001 as the Business Shell, SparForte is an open project
> project.  Because I'm working on this in my spare time, let me know if
> you find SparForte useful.  Volunteers are encouraged to contribute
> examples, tutorials, new built-in packages, post examples to Rosetta
> Code, etc.
>
> Ken B.
> Application Architect, Toronto, Canada

This looks awesome. I took a weak stab at building for OS X (Darwin)
but with no luck. I made a copy of bush_linux.ads and named it
bush_darwin.ads (with the expectation that I would have to delete the
stuff on accessing a CD drive) and variously tried ./configure --
arch=darwin and ./configure --arch=i386 since uname -s gives Darwin
and uname -p gives i386 but could not get past the note beginning with
"SparForte requires a bush_os.ads file to make operating system
calls."

Jerry

* Re: ANN: SparForte 1.3 (Release Candidate)
@ 2012-02-07 16:01 ` Álex R. Mosteo
From: Álex R. Mosteo @ 2012-02-07 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Master of Magic wrote:

> SparForte 1.3 (Release Candidate)
>     Type : Programming Language
> Platforms: Linux i386/x86_64/Alpha and FreeBSD
>   License: GPL
>
>   Home URL: http://www.pegasoft.ca/sparforte.html
> Source URL: https://github.com/kburtch/SparForte
>
> SparForte is an Ada-based command shell, template engine and scripting
> language.  There are 23 built-in
> packages and more than 80 example scripts.
>
> The sources on GitHub should be considered a release candidate for
> version 1.3.  If you are interested, please try it out and notify me
> of any bugs you find.

FYI, I managed to compile it without much trouble in Ubuntu 11.10. I had
only to install the relevant SDL/mysql/pgsql packages and export GMAKE=make

Alex.

@ 2012-02-09  9:17 ` Julian Leyh
From: Julian Leyh @ 2012-02-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI, I created an ArchLinux PKGBUILD of version 1.2.1 (will update as
soon as 1.3 is released):

I removed the sound support, because it requires /dev/dsp, and I was
told this belongs to OSS, which blocks sound IO while in use.

If anybody knows better or has ideas how to solve this, please correct
me. (maybe oss as makedepends may work?)

Greetings,
Julian Leyh