* Re: Gnoga on Windows
       [not found] <66770438-2eba-4fcf-bcbe-e2660fc5e9c0@googlegroups.com>
@ 2014-10-04  1:52 ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-04  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:08:01 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> If any one has a chance to try Gnoga on windows would be appreciated.  (http://www.gnoga.com)
>

> (yes believe it or not I haven't had a windows dev environment setup in many years)

After battling with getting AWS installed, I finally got a chance to try out the first tutorial on Gnoga.  It compiled fine, but running I noticed somethings:
1.  It did not launch the browser (I assume this is purposeful, but figured I would at least give notice of it).  Manually launching the browser and going to localhost:8080 of course works.

2.  The first tutorial fails when the application ends with the following output:
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\Jere\gnoga-code\bin\tutorial_01
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g7
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Looking through the code, that appears to be the Finalize procedure for Base_Type in gnoga-gui-base.adb

Is this expected?

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-04  2:30   ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-04  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, October 3, 2014 9:53:00 PM UTC-4, Jeremiah wrote:

> After battling with getting AWS installed, I finally got a chance to try out the first tutorial on Gnoga.  It compiled fine, but running I noticed somethings:
>
> 1.  It did not launch the browser (I assume this is purposeful, but figured I would at least give notice of it).  Manually launching the browser and going to localhost:8080 of course works.
>

> 2.  The first tutorial fails when the application ends with the following output:
>
> C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\Jere\gnoga-code\bin\tutorial_01
>
> Starting Web Server with web root at ../
>
> Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
>
> Error finalizing - g7
>
> PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>

> Looking through the code, that appears to be the Finalize procedure for Base_Type in gnoga-gui-base.adb
>

> Is this expected?

Oddly enough, Gnoga stopped working at all.  I can no longer access it at localhost:8080.  I tried restarting and turning off windows firewall, but nothing.  It just spins trying to connect.

I'm still able to run a basic AWS program and work on localhost:8080, but not Tutorial1.  Odd.

Also tried snake which worked before.  Now it doesn't.  Any clue what could cause them to stop loading?

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-04 19:52     ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-10-04 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 19:30:57 -0700 (PDT), Jeremiah
<jeremiah.breeden@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Oddly enough, Gnoga stopped working at all.  I can no longer access it at localhost:8080.  I tried restarting and turning off windows firewall, but nothing.  It just spins trying to connect.
>
>I'm still able to run a basic AWS program and work on localhost:8080, but not Tutorial1.  Odd.
>
>Also tried snake which worked before.  Now it doesn't.  Any clue what could cause them to stop loading?

	See if there is anything in the Window's task manager (processes page)
that might be remnants of a zombie task... I have one example of an IDE
that, if I do a build with one of the output/listing files open in an
editor, suddenly stops doing anything, and even closing and reopening the
IDE won't work -- I have to go into the task manager and kill the task
entry for the "closed" IDE copy (it apparently was able to close the GUI,
but is hung waiting on some other action to complete).

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05  1:26   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-05  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Error finalizing - g7
>
> PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>

> Looking through the code, that appears to be the Finalize procedure for Base_Type in gnoga-gui-base.adb

Correct, Gnoga cleans up references in the browser on finalization to allow for the browser's JS garbage collection to take place for long running apps.

> Is this expected?

No.

It has never happened on other platforms or with those so far trying on windows. What version of GNAT and AWS are you using?

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05  1:59   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-05  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1.  It did not launch the browser (I assume this is purposeful, but figured I would at least give notice of it).  Manually launching the browser and going to localhost:8080 of course works.

You can programmatically open the browser by calling Gnoga.Appication.Open_URL_Windows (or OSX or Linux)

BTW, can you add it and let me know if works on Windows? I haven't tested the code I added for that on Windows.

Also, are the other tutorials working? (assuming you resolve the issue why nothing was working)

@ 2014-10-05  2:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-05  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeremiah, one more thing I thought of clear your browser cache, perhaps it has a broken cache of the boot.html or try using "private mode" or "incognito" mode or whatever it may be on your browser. Which btw is which version?

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 18:48     ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:26:15 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> > Is this expected?
>

> No.
>

> It has never happened on other platforms or with those so far trying on windows. What version of GNAT and AWS are you using?
>

> David Botton
I am running GPS 6.0.1 which uses GCC 4.7.4 and for GNAT specifically I could only find reference to 20140331.  AWS is 3.2.0.  I used MSYS 2013072300 (I assume the trailing 00 is just tacked on to the date) in minGW to build everything.  When running tutorial_01 in both minGW bash and from GPS I get that result.

If there is a different number you are looking for, what method should I use?

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:00   ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-05 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:00:28 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> Jeremiah, one more thing I thought of clear your browser cache, perhaps it has a broken cache of the boot.html or try using "private mode" or "incognito" mode or whatever it may be on your browser. Which btw is which version?

I use Firefox 32.0.3 and IE 11.0.9600.17280 (IE only as a second opinion per say...mainly firefox).

I don't run either in private mode.  I do run NoScript in FF, but I whitelisted localhost to make sure it wasn't an issue.  I did test by wiping the cash in IE each time and Firefox is set to automatically do that when I close it.  No change due to cache wiping.   Here is some more info on what I see:

1.  If I run the tutorial from minGW bash, both browsers have no trouble getting to local host, even from a fresh browser cache session (and FF does have NoScript running so I know this isn't doin anything).

2.  If I run the tutorial from GPS using the run button, A browser with fresh cache will not open the page and just spin on local host.  It doesn't even tell me the host is unavailable like it would if I didn't have the program running at all.

3.  If I run the tutorial from minGW bash and use a browser and do not clear the cache or close the browser (which of course works) and then I run it from GPS, it works while the cache is not cleared.  However once I close FF (clears the cache) or manually clear on IE, it doesn't work unless I go back and run from minGW bash first again.

As a side note:
I can build it from both within GPS or in minGW bash and get the same results listed.  Also, I tested tutorial_02 and got the same results.  I haven't tested the others but I can if you wish.

Also, on the topic of the exception I mentioned earlier.  I know you probably did this, but out of curiosity, did you make all your Finalize calls idempotent?  At first glance it didn't appear that way, but I didn't dig very deep so you might be and I just missed it.  If not, that might explain why I get the exception and you haven't on other platform configurations.

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:03       ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-05 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 3:52:09 PM UTC-4, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> 	See if there is anything in the Window's task manager (processes page)
>
> that might be remnants of a zombie task... I have one example of an IDE
>
> that, if I do a build with one of the output/listing files open in an
>
> editor, suddenly stops doing anything, and even closing and reopening the
>
> IDE won't work -- I have to go into the task manager and kill the task
>
> entry for the "closed" IDE copy (it apparently was able to close the GUI,
>
> but is hung waiting on some other action to complete).
>
> --
>
> 	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN

I checked.  I could account for all processes running at the time.  I also did a few "fresh" runs by restarting my PC and trying them again.  Services are another beast.  I didn't see anything foul, but there are so many things I have no clue on there that I couldn't verify that.

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:14       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am running GPS 6.0.1 which uses GCC 4.7.4 and for GNAT specifically I could only find reference to 20140331.  AWS is 3.2.0.

Is that the AdaCore GNAT GPL or the FSF GPL from another source?

On Mac I test on the latest FSF GPL and AdaCores "GPL" version.

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:25         ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-05 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 3:14:42 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> > I am running GPS 6.0.1 which uses GCC 4.7.4 and for GNAT specifically I could only find reference to 20140331.  AWS is 3.2.0.
>

> Is that the AdaCore GNAT GPL or the FSF GPL from another source?
>

> On Mac I test on the latest FSF GPL and AdaCores "GPL" version.
>

> David Botton

Adacore GNAT GPL

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:35       ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2014-10-05 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-10-05 20:48, Jeremiah wrote:
> On Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:26:15 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:

> I am running GPS 6.0.1 which uses GCC 4.7.4 and for GNAT specifically I could only find reference to 20140331.
> AWS is 3.2.0.  I used MSYS 2013072300 (I assume the trailing 00 is just tacked on to the date)
> in minGW to build everything.  When running tutorial_01 in both minGW bash and from GPS I get that result.

I build AWS in MinGW, but gnoga from the ordinary cmd-prompt
(I have make.exe in the %path%)

Also, I run snake.exe from the ordinary cmd-prompt

--
Björn

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:41     ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:59:15 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> > 1.  It did not launch the browser (I assume this is purposeful, but figured I would at least give notice of it).  Manually launching the browser and going to localhost:8080 of course works.
>

> You can programmatically open the browser by calling Gnoga.Appication.Open_URL_Windows (or OSX or Linux)
>

> BTW, can you add it and let me know if works on Windows? I haven't tested the code I added for that on Windows.

Adding it does fire up the browser.  Everything from that point works as I described in other posts (with the exception and the trouble running from a fresh cached browser).  I did see one difference running from minGW bash:  on one occasion, instead of PROGRAM_ERROR I got:
Error finalizing - g7
CONSTRAINT_ERROR - aws-net-websocket.adb:330 access check failed

I only got it once and got PROGRAM_ERROR on remaining tries.

> Also, are the other tutorials working? (assuming you resolve the issue why nothing was working)
>

> David Botton

I've only tried Tutorials 1 & 2 so far.  2 doesn't appear to have the exception issue, but it does suffer from the browser not loading from GPS with fresh cache issue.  I can try others if you like.

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-05 19:57     ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-05 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 9:59:15 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> Also, are the other tutorials working? (assuming you resolve the issue why nothing was working)
>

> David Botton

I tried all the tutorials for exceptions.  I just ran them all from minGW bash to avoid the issue with GPS running.  Only Tutorial 2 ran without an exception.  All others did.  Tutorials 04 and 06 not only exceptioned, they did not exit the application and I had to eventually control C out of them.  For each tutorial, I used the click me buttons, drawed, and moved items as necessary and then clicked the exit program button, which caused the exceptions.  As a note, on the drag and drop, it failed to take me to whatever website you were trying to. FF said it wasn't a valid URL.  Below is an out put from minGW for each of my tutorial runs (I put two results for 07):

$ tutorial_02
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080

$ tutorial_03
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g11
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Error finalizing - g10
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Error finalizing - g9
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

$ tutorial_04
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g11
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

$ tutorial_05
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g15
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Error finalizing - g12
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Error finalizing - g11
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Error finalizing - g10
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

$ tutorial_06
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g100
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

$ tutorial_07
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g43
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

$ tutorial_07
Starting Web Server with web root at ../
Starting Gnoga Server on :8080
Error finalizing - g15
PROGRAM_ERROR - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Error finalizing - g14

@ 2014-10-05 21:43       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-05 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, I really appreciate it, I'll try soon again to get a windows GNAT and AWS environment going and see if I can duplicate your issues.

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-07 17:26       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeremiah, can you do a git pull and try the latest version. I believe that the issue you are seeing I have resolved now. It only showed on some platforms / computers and related to application exit.

David Botton

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-08 23:17         ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-08 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:26:13 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
> Jeremiah, can you do a git pull and try the latest version. I believe that the issue you are seeing I have resolved now. It only showed on some platforms / computers and related to application exit.
>

> David Botton
I'll grab the latest tonight.  Quick question:  If I grab the latest version from sourceforge, do make setup build, and do make install, will it update everything correctly or do I need to uninstall/clean out something first and then do the make process?

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-09  0:17           ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-09  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:17:12 PM UTC-4, Jeremiah wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:26:13 PM UTC-4, David Botton wrote:
>
> > Jeremiah, can you do a git pull and try the latest version. I believe that the issue you are seeing I have resolved now. It only showed on some platforms / computers and related to application exit.
>

> > David Botton
>
> I'll grab the latest tonight.  Quick question:  If I grab the latest version from sourceforge, do make setup build, and do make install, will it update everything correctly or do I need to uninstall/clean out something first and then do the make process?

I winged it and ran make uninstall and then installed the new version completely.  The exceptions are gone, which is nice.  Is it appropriate to ask what caused the exception issue?  It's a curiosity on my part, but if it is inappropriate to ask, I understand.

As you are probably aware the issue with not being able to connect after running from GPS with a fresh browser cache is still there, but that seems like it might be a tough nut to crack either way.  Still I can run from minGW bash as a workaround.

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-10 21:51             ` Jeremiah
From: Jeremiah @ 2014-10-10 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:17:31 PM UTC-4, Jeremiah wrote:

> As you are probably aware the issue with not being able to connect after running from GPS with a fresh browser cache is still there, but that seems like it might be a tough nut to crack either way.  Still I can run from minGW bash as a workaround.

An update:
I figured out why the Gnoga Tutorials would not run in GPS.  Apparently, when GPS runs the current project, it runs it not from the executable directory, but from the directory the project file is in.  Since the tutorial projects are all an extra directory deep relative to the html and js directories, the executable wasn't able to locate the appropriate files (boot.html, etc.).  The workaround of course is to make sure the project file is at the same distance to the html and js directories as the executable.

* Re: Gnoga on Windows
@ 2014-10-12  1:03             ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-10-12  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I winged it and ran make uninstall and then installed the new version completely.  The exceptions are gone, which is nice.  Is it appropriate to ask what caused the exception issue?  It's a curiosity on my part, but if it is inappropriate to ask, I understand.

Race condition in finalization with loss of websocket connectivity. Everything is appropriate to ask :)