From: jncs@uno.edu
Subject: Re: Ada text for CS2 course
Date: 5 Apr 91 18:58:38 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1401@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, eichmann@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Eichmann) writes:
>bonak@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Esmail Bonakdarian) writes:
>
>>I am looking at a possible replacement for our current Ada text in use
>>for the CS2 class I teach. I currently have been using the 3rd edition
>>of "Programming in Ada"  by Barnes, but now am looking for alternatives.
>
>D. Watt, B. Wichmann, and W. Findlay, Ada: Language and Methodology,
>Prentice Hall, 1987.
>
>   I just received this, and so haven't looked at it in detail.  At first
>   glance it appears to fall somewhere inbetween Skansholm and Volper/Katz.

I have used this one on several semester for the second programming course;
students are assumed to have taken the first programming class using Ada.
I find it solid from, the point of view of Ada syntax and usage. But it is
rather weak on software engineering concepts. It only has one chapter with
addresses software engineering issues (chapter 16), and a case study wich
includes tasking, thus not adequate for this level. I could only recommend it
for the Ada portion.

I used the Young book several years ago. It was again a purely Ada book, very
little on software engineering per se.

Jaime Nino
Computer Science
University of New Orleans