From: wpllabs!loftus@burdvax.prc.unisys.com  (William Loftus)
Subject: Re: interpreting spaces......
Date: 8 Sep 91 19:08:40 GMT	[thread overview]

>From article <1991Aug30.162540.13221@ucqais.uc.edu>, by skilby@ucqais.uc.edu (
Steven Kilby):
> I appologize if this is the wrong type of question for this group.  I am
> using ADA on a MicroVAX II running VMS V5.4-2.  I have a program that
> creates a data file of addresses.  The addresses are 3 to 5 lines.  My
> problem is that when the address is only 3 or 4 lines I fill the remaining
> lines with spaces.  ADA, however, interprets the spaces as NULL.  Is there
> some sort of compile flag that tells ADA how to interpret spaces?  Any help
> would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
>

> Steven
> --
> Steven M. Kilby    Univ. of Cincinnati, College of Business Administration
> (Steven.Kilby@UC.EDU)           UUCP: {decuac,pyramid}!uccba!ucqais!skilby
> ARPA or BITNET: skilby%ucqais@uccba.uc.edu          PHONE:  (513) 556-7159

Ada doesn't ignore spaces.  In some cases it can read one line as two (when
using Get_Line and youyr buffer is not big enough), or ignore EOL (when
using Get).   However, you would probably be better using Direct_IO or
Sequential_IO to write out your records into a database, and Text_IO when
you need create a readable version.

Bill
--
William Loftus                   (215) 668 3661
WPL Laboratories, Inc.           UUCP: loftus@wpllabs.UUCP