From: "patrick.gunia@googlemail.com" <patrick.gunia@googlemail.com>
Subject: Ada Tagged Type-Operation assign?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 06:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-05-15T06:57:25-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I got a question concerning Ada-Tagged-Type implementation. I´m
currently comparing two versions of a program written in Ada, one uses
tagged types, the other one doesn´t. I use VTune to evaluate the
runtime-performance of both versions and found that the call graph
display of vtunes shows one function in the tagged-type version which
gets called massively whereas there aren´t any calls to these
functions in my "non-tagged-type-version". This operation isn´t
declared by me, thus it has to be provided by the system. The
operation is named "assign". The funny thing about this is, that this
operations gets only called for tagged types which aren´t inherited,
all my other tagged types which are organized in class hierarchies don
´t show this behaviour. It might be important that these types are
aubclasses from Ada.Finalization.Controlled, maybe that´s a reason why
I don´t find the "assign"-operation.
So, now here are my questions:
Is the operation "assign" automatically provided for tagged types?
If so, is there any possibility to control this method or do I have to
accept it?

The reason for my second question simply is the fact, that the self
time of the function is not relevant (0,00ms), though when it gets
called 3 billion times, it starts to be a relevant factor for
performance differences...

Thanks for your help,
Patrick