From: "David Botton" <David@Botton.com>
To: <comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
Subject: Re: GUI development: Windex vs. GTK vs. Anything else
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:07:47 -0500
Date: 2001-01-02T20:07:47-05:00	[thread overview]

Any one of the packages (and JGNAT that I did not mention) could fulfill
your requirements. Perhaps each with slightly different techniques, but
certainly possible.

In general I prefer not to use portable libraries, but to write my code in a
portable fashion abstract from the GUI and then connect the two together.
This allows me to take full advantage of the host platform.

For example with GWindows (and GNATCOM of course) I can easily access all
the standard Win32 controls, ActiveX controls, embed a TK window and have
access to all that TCL/TK has to offer, embed Internet Explorer in a window
and have DHTML, VRML or any other GUI web related elements inside my App,
embed the acrobat reader in to a window and much more.

It is also possible to combine technologies to get some where in the middle.
For example you could do most of your work with GtkAda and then when needed
use GWindows to attach to the GtkAda window and add ActiveX controls or make
Win32 specific call on the window.

David Botton