* Re: Ada95: Around the world theories
@ 1996-04-02  0:00 ` Norman H. Cohen
From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1996-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <00001a73+00002c8b@msn.com>, KMays@msn.com (Kenneth Mays) writes:

|> Two new pointers to add to your list for Ada tools:
|>
|> 1. http://www.pcada.com/pcada - Home site for Visual Ada95 and
|> IntegrAda for Windows95/NT.
|> 2. http://www.ipbath.com/p4.html - Site for IPL's Ada95 software
|> engineering tools.

Please double-check the 2nd URL.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com

* Ada95: Around the world theories
@ 1996-04-02  0:00 Kenneth Mays
From: Kenneth Mays @ 1996-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings:

Subject - Tools for the Ada95 programmer and the international job market

Two new pointers to add to your list for Ada tools:

1. http://www.pcada.com/pcada - Home site for Visual Ada95 and
IntegrAda for Windows95/NT.
2. http://www.ipbath.com/p4.html - Site for IPL's Ada95 software
engineering tools.

Some of the sites deal the IBM RS/6000 and specialized markets, but I
consider the DOS/Windows
environments the best since it allows for me to master these products
at home - instead if at  work!!
I can't seem to get it through to some people but it is good to
master products at home so you can be more productive at work - if
using the same tools. Honestly, it is a pain to bring "Mastering GNAT
in 21 days"
books to work when I can do it at home. Now if I had a Sun UltraSparc
workstation at home, then I could defend that market too (but lets be
a little realistic).

For those who are looking for jobs (aren't we always doing that) in
other countries, Ada-Belgium is
mentioning a job fair of sorts. Check them out. For those wishing to
go to Canada (speak French do ya?) you should contact Ora-Canada (see
postings). Ada-Spain was working on the list of jobs in Spain. The
jobs in the UK and nearby countries are posted here. SigAda/AdaIC
cover the majority of American markets. Hopefully, I can add more
from Japan and Mexico. African areas are using GEOS (boy, this is
an OLD OS since it is fundamentally Windows for small memory
computers - it was a Commodore 64 OS replacement in the 80's, I still
have Geoworks Ensemble somewhere). Australian and Singapore jobs are
other areas of interest. Antartica or Iceland anyone? For those into
Iceland culture and work, Icelandair is a place to start (Iceland's
major airport branch near Keflavik, Iceland and a port at JFK airport
in New York). I don't think anyone wants to go to Greenland (see
Thule or Antartica related issues). A little April fools humor!

Anyhow, Ada jobs are sprouting up in many countries as it is
evangelized by programmers and universities. C++ will remain in its
market share, just like COBOL. Like it or not, Ada95 is mainly a U.S.
government programming language so you find your jobs in government
or aviation related companies (no, I'm not talking just military or
defense). Robotics and cybernetics might be a good place to start. I
haven't researched how well Ada interfaces with Lisp and LOGO type
programming languages, but I'm sure someone will find a way. Start
with SigAda or AdaIC and branch out from there.

Just a note to many Ada95 supporters: is it unreasonable to have
Delphi programming experience
since Ada95 is like a "big sister" to Pascal and Modula-3? Should our
univerisities teach Pascal/Modula as as a step towards Ada95? Should
we drop the traditional languages and only teach Lisp/LOGO, COBOL,
RPG, C++, JAVA/VRML/HTML and Ada95 at our colleges (heck, throw in
PILOT)? We support many academic or specialized computer languages,
but what are the languages USED by the job market TODAY!?!? I think
that is what most students want to know and should know. I think this
is what those MBA students should realize in MIS courses. Ada95 is a
general purpose language language, but it was geared for a specific
purpose (embedded systems). Do you use Ada95 over LISP/LOGO when it
comes to AI work or turtle graphics? How about saying "Hello World."
Is that in BASIC, Visual BASIC, Delphi, or  C++? If you or anyone
you know wants a REAL job being a programmer - remind them its not
how many languages you know, but which ones you need to know to a
REAL job. When is knowing just C/C++ enough to get by?!?
-Ken

* Re: Ada95: Around the world theories
@ 1996-04-10  0:00   ` Jerome Desquilbet
From: Jerome Desquilbet @ 1996-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)