From: KMays@msn.com (Kenneth Mays)
Subject: The return of Ada95
Date: 1996/03/16
Date: 1996-03-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

I wanted to answer questions concerning Ada and Boeing - besides a
few other things:

1. The Seattle Times "Can Computers Fly" article, June 1995-July 1995
was the one. Boeing programmers had complaints on Ada and how C++
rivaled Ada programming. From what I read on the article (I do have
it saved on disk), it looked like an Ada83 complaint. Ada95 was
standarized in Feb. 95 but I don't think the compilers were up to
snuff back then. AdaIC is still compiling
validated Ada95 compilers!

2. Ada95 is a decent programming language, but it is a general
purpose language. Also, it was originally designed for embedded
systems. The problem with this is that C/C++ is also a good language.
Talking with many programmers, you can write VERY tight code with
C/C++ and play with pointers and registers (bit level) very easy. I'm
sure you can find a way to do it in Ada95, but its concept wasn't
designed for it. COBOL is good for businesses, RPG (Report Program
Generator) is good for reports, C/C++ for systems software and
machine code/assembly replacement, BASIC for algorithm development,
and Ada95 for long maintenance support where C/C++ general-purpose
maintenance is not cost-efficient.

3. Look at IBM. IBM still supports C, COBOL, and RPG. Around 1980, I
started earning these programming languages and they are still good
languages. Ada95 hasn't been solidified as you can't run out there
and find a wonderful Ada95 development system (even though I'm trying
to get Visual Ada95 for testing). I can buy Visual C++ 4.0 or Borland
C++ 4.5/5.0, but try to get a decent Ada95 compiler and there is some
trouble to be found. Even QuickBasic 4.5/MicroSoft BASIC Pro
V7.0/Visual Basic are pretty standardized in their areas. Can you
find an article in most popular magazines that spout off a great
Ada95 compiler?!? Any advertisements from MicroSoft on Ada95
packages? Hmmm, there is a lot to be said about this.

4. The Air Force is getting rid of Ada??? Well, I would think twice
about that. Any business major would know that if your company spent
millions on a development package, you will spend the money to
maintain it (why reinvent a perfect wheel?). Personally, I would say
that all future development is done in C++. Ada95 will fill in where
it is needed. MicroSoft Basic Professional / QuickBasic 4.5 is able
to handle most easy tasks so I wouldn't knock BASIC. Visual BASIC is
great for GUI work. The concept is what is easy to maintain, what
will get the job done, how much speed does the application need, and
how much is it going to cost!!?!?

Boeing is heading toward C++ future development in their avionic
systems. I'm sure they will support Ada95 if their programmers want
to, but first lets find a industry-standarized Ada95 compiler that
everybody can use. I mean, we like MicroSoft Excel (spreadsheet) and
MicroSoft Word (wordprocesser). Hell, even MicroSoft Access
(database) is taking over DBASE!!

Let me know you thoughts on Ada95 development.

Write to:
maysk@wg53.eglin.af.mil

Thanks,
Ken