From: Catherine Rees Lay <Catherine@reeslay.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: M$ to STRIKE again...
Date: 1997/04/07
Date: 1997-04-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3348FC2E.A8B@csolve.net>, Mike Monett <add@csolve.net>
writes
>We erased WIN95 a year ago and moved everything back to DOS. For each
>function we now do in DOS, we gain at least 10X improvement in throughput
>and productivity. This is the promise that MicroSoft has been making all
>along, but you have to know how to apply the appropriate filter.
>
>There is a wealth of DOS available on the web for anyone who cares to
>look. In fact, there is a lot of innovative and useful stuff for DOS that
>is simply not available in Windows.
>
>If you subscribe to the SimTel mailing list, it is astonishing how much
>programming effort goes into "advanced" screensavers and personal address
>books. How many more of these "advanced" programs do we need?
>
>The thing that frightens me most about Windows is looking in the Borland
>Delphi Bugs List and checking these newsgroups. It is amazing to see the
>workaraounds people have to use to solve problems they run into. If this
>is an example of professional programming and how to write solid code,
>then DOS is the future for us. It is still supported by IBM and Caldera.
>
>Anyway, with email, who needs a 50 megabyte word processor anymore?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Michael R. Monett
>CEO
>Analog & Digital Design
>PO Box 460
>Victoria Harbor
>Ontario Canada L0K 2A0
>mailto:add@csolve.net

Win95 is not as solid as DOS, it's true. However, it is a LOT better
than Windows 3.1. Not switching from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 because
of the bad things you have heard about 95 is a big mistake. Not
switching from DOS, on the other hand, I can understand, though you may
find new commercial software harder and harder to come by - most people
won't buy DOS-based software any more, so most companies no longer
target it.

Don't be too hard on Delphi, btw - just because Borland are prepared to
acknowledge their bugs doesn't mean they have any more than other
companies/products. The existence of a well-defined bugs list is a plus,
not a minus.

Catherine.
--
Catherine Rees Lay