From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: AuroraUX Combines SunOS with Ada
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:28:59 GMT
Date: 2009-03-12T19:28:59+00:00	[thread overview]

Nice idea, for those who wanted the Minux or the dead GNU HURD kernel to
be converted to Ada.

But to show the true power of what an Ada OS can do, the entire project from
the ground up must be created in 100% Ada. Not just using Ada to rebuild an
existing OS or to build a environmental shell like Windows on top of DOS
was.

One example of this power is to use the Ada task scheduler as the OS job
scheduler, which would make each program running in this OS environment
an Ada task instead of a single excutional routine.  Now, as for single
excutional routines, they could still be used for OS boot up, installation and
system maintenance where tasking is not allowed. The Ada task scheduler
should also be updated to handle multiple cpus cores used in todays world.

The down side of using the Ada Task scheduler as the core job scheduler is
that it could kill the idea of using mix languages. But is that a bad thing in
the first Ada OS!  Because the problem in initially allowing mix languages is
that others will use mix languages instead of Ada which will kill the Ada OS
before it has time to prove itself.