* cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-21 18:24 John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2002-03-21 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been searching for a good Ada source code editor and think I have
finally found one I can stick with. I like it so much I felt I had to share
my enthusiasm here.

First of all, emacs (and xemacs too) is out. I'm sorry, it just is. I've
been a Linux user for about 4 years now and Linux is the only thing I use
on my laptop. I have tried emacs off and on for all of those 4 years, but
it is not going to happen. I don't want to start a flame war about it. I'm
sure many people find it indespensible, but I don't.

Vim is better (IMVHO) than emacs, but it still doesn't have the ease of use
which makes writing code fun. If I'm stuck in a console, give me vim any
day, but the fact is that even under Linux most users are in a graphical
desktop environment.

Adagide is fine for quick-and-dirty things, but not for a large project.
It's also only available for Windows, which means I won't be using it much.

I have also tried Nedit, Cooledit, and Glimmer. Most of my development is
done on Linux (I just compile for Windows as needed) so it didn't bother me
that these were Linux-only programs. Glimmer would be my choice but I
couldn't get it to properly jump to code when clicking on error output from
my ada programs. This may have been fixed by now or it may just be an
incompatibility with the format gnatmake uses to report errors, I don't
know. So I kept looking, and then I found SciTE.
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

I must tell everyone to try out this editor! It's avaiable for Windows,
Linux, and Solaris. It has many features and is highly customizable, but it
is small, fast, and efficient. It's not a "visual studio" but it does allow
for compiling and running programs from within the editor. It has
auto-tabs, word completion, and of course syntax highlighting for Ada. The
tools commands (compile, make, execute) for ada worked right out-of-the-box
for me. I needed to add a tool command to run GVD, but this was easy to do.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm plugging SciTE, I just wish someone had
pointed it out to me a long time ago (which is what I hope to do for others
now).

--
John Stoneham
(to email, reverse the domain)

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-21 20:28 ` Ingo Marks
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-03-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stoneham wrote:

> know. So I kept looking, and then I found SciTE.
> http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
> I must tell everyone to try out this editor! It's avaiable for Windows,
> Linux, and Solaris. It has many features and is highly customizable, but
> it is small, fast, and efficient. It's not a "visual studio" but it does
> allow for compiling and running programs from within the editor. It has
> auto-tabs, word completion, and of course syntax highlighting for Ada. The
> tools commands (compile, make, execute) for ada worked right
> out-of-the-box for me. I needed to add a tool command to run GVD, but this
> was easy to do.
>
> Sorry if this sounds like I'm plugging SciTE, I just wish someone had
> pointed it out to me a long time ago (which is what I hope to do for
> others now).

Another interesting IDE (like Visual Studio) supporting ADA is Anjuta.

http://anjuta.sourceforge.net

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-21 21:33 ` Michal Nowak
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-03-21 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-03-21 at 13:24 John Stoneham wrote:

>I've been searching for a good Ada source code editor and think I have
>finally found one I can stick with. I like it so much I felt I had to
>share
>my enthusiasm here.

[snip]

>Adagide is fine for quick-and-dirty things, but not for a large project.
>It's also only available for Windows, which means I won't be using it
much.

[snip]

>know. So I kept looking, and then I found SciTE.
>http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
>I must tell everyone to try out this editor! It's avaiable for Windows,
>Linux, and Solaris. It has many features and is highly customizable, but
it
>is small, fast, and efficient. It's not a "visual studio" but it does
>allow
>for compiling and running programs from within the editor. It has
>auto-tabs, word completion, and of course syntax highlighting for Ada. The

>tools commands (compile, make, execute) for ada worked right
>out-of-the-box
>for me. I needed to add a tool command to run GVD, but this was easy to
do.

Look like quite nice piece of software. However it has white background
(although I suppose it should be possible to change it to black through
configuration files or recompilation).

It has something similiar what GRASP had (CSD - Code Structure Diagram) -
here it is just straight line from begin to end, while in GRASP it was
quite spohisticated structure.

Code completion seems quite intelligent - it proposes not only standard
possibilities, but also looked inside my own 'with-ed' packages and
proposed exception or procedure names from there.

I think I may start use it under Linux (I also had some touble getting to
know Emacs, although I tried). For Windows AdaGIDE still is nice option.
Especially, that it is not so much worse than SciTE - it does not have code
completion and this simple CSD, but development is not abondoned so one day

it may have all this extra features.

Thanks for useful address,
Mike

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-21 22:13   ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-03-21 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >know. So I kept looking, and then I found SciTE.
> >http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
> It has something similiar what GRASP had (CSD - Code Structure Diagram) -
> here it is just straight line from begin to end, while in GRASP it was
> quite spohisticated structure.

I don't know whether GRASP is better than SciTE
but it is worth knowing about for it's unique
features:
   http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-21 23:39     ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2002-03-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:

> > >know. So I kept looking, and then I found SciTE.
> > >http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
> >
> > It has something similiar what GRASP had (CSD - Code Structure Diagram) -
> > here it is just straight line from begin to end, while in GRASP it was
> > quite spohisticated structure.
>
> I don't know whether GRASP is better than SciTE
> but it is worth knowing about for it's unique
> features:
>    http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/
>
> --
> Wes Groleau
> http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

GRASP is no longer supported.  The supported version is jGRASP which is
painfully slow.

Larry

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-22  9:05       ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-03-22  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-03-21 at 17:39 Larry Hazel wrote:

>> > It has something similiar what GRASP had (CSD - Code Structure
>Diagram) -
>> > here it is just straight line from begin to end, while in GRASP it was
>> > quite spohisticated structure.
>>
>> I don't know whether GRASP is better than SciTE
>> but it is worth knowing about for it's unique
>> features:
>>    http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/
>>
>> --
>> Wes Groleau
>> http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau
>
>GRASP is no longer supported.  The supported version is jGRASP which is
>painfully slow.

That is why I switched back to AdaGIDE (under Windows). Besides being slow,
JVM has tendency to crash in most unexpected moments, no matter under what
OS I use - Linux or Windows.

Mike

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-22 11:30 ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-03-22 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Stoneham <captnjameskirk@moc.oohay> wrote:

: First of all, emacs (and xemacs too) is out.

There is a certain precursory learning investment
necessary before using any powerful IDE that goes
beyond colors, compiler buttons, and jumping to errors.

It's worth it, but if you want to start in a hurry,
without learning, Emacs/ada-mode will be frustrating,
like anything of its class.

- georg

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-22 16:42   ` John Stoneham
From: John Stoneham @ 2002-03-22 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> There is a certain precursory learning investment
> necessary before using any powerful IDE that goes
> beyond colors, compiler buttons, and jumping to errors.
>
> It's worth it, but if you want to start in a hurry,
> without learning, Emacs/ada-mode will be frustrating,
> like anything of its class.
>
> - georg

I take it that you are happy using emacs. That's fine, and I am pretty sure
you are not in the minority. If you enjoy using it, there is no reason not
to continue doing so. But for the record, I don't believe in doing
something "in a hurry, without learning". Over the past 4 years, I have
spent quite a bit of time with emacs. I know how to use it and *have* used
it for the complete edit/compile/debug/repeat cycle on more than one
project. My point is that I just don't like it. I want my source code
editor to be *pleasant* to use, and yes, to look at. Using emacs makes me
feel like I'm a surgeon in the Civil War using ether as my general
anesthetic. I just don't think the product justifies the learning curve
here, at least for me.

I don't believe that my opinion about emacs makes me any less of a
programmer. I *do* want more than "colors, compiler buttons, and jumping to
errors", and I think that the combination of Glade, SciTE, and GVD makes
for a more user-friendly and ultimately more *productive* development
environment than emacs.

But that's just me :-)

--
John Stoneham
(to email, reverse the domain)

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-23 14:21 ` Volkert
From: Volkert @ 2002-03-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the Ada Germany meeting ACT gave an presentation about
their glide successor (alternative) called GPS. A Very very
nice IDE for the GNAT ... i think, that is exactly what you
want ... be patient ...

With Regards,
Volkert

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-03-23 15:17   ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 2002-03-23 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Volkert" <Volkert.Barr@freenet.de> wrote in message
> On the Ada Germany meeting ACT gave an presentation about
> their glide successor (alternative) called GPS. A Very very
> nice IDE for the GNAT ... i think, that is exactly what you
> want ... be patient ...

It is unfortunate that they chose the GPS acronym.  Just try doing a web
search on GPS and Ada ;-)

SteveD

> With Regards,
> Volkert

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-27 23:23 ` Peter I. Hansen
From: Peter I. Hansen @ 2002-03-27 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  So I kept looking, and then I found SciTE.
>http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
>I must tell everyone to try out this editor! It's avaiable for Windows,
>Linux, and Solaris. It has many features and is highly customizable, but it
>is small, fast, and efficient. It's not a "visual studio" but it does allow
>for compiling and running programs from within the editor. It has
>auto-tabs, word completion, and of course syntax highlighting for Ada. The
>tools commands (compile, make, execute) for ada worked right out-of-the-box
>for me. I needed to add a tool command to run GVD, but this was easy to do.
>
>Sorry if this sounds like I'm plugging SciTE, I just wish someone had
>pointed it out to me a long time ago (which is what I hope to do for others
>now).

This is a very nice editor indeed. If a few features were added it would
be perfekt.

i) Black background ( This can probably be configure )
ii) The button movement from VIM in combination with mouse !
iii) A print feature ( anjuta have this )

/Peter

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 10:47     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-04-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:42:11 -0500, John Stoneham
<captnjameskirk@moc.oohay> wrote:

> My point is that I just don't like it. I want my source code
> editor to be *pleasant* to use, and yes, to look at. Using emacs makes me
> feel like I'm a surgeon in the Civil War using ether as my general
> anesthetic. I just don't think the product justifies the learning curve
> here, at least for me.

As a matter of interest, what is it in particular that you don't like?
It may be that you have missed something in the configuration, or an
additional package, that may improve your view of it.

* RE: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 14:26       ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2002-04-03 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"As a matter of interest, what is it in particular that you [John] don't
like [about Emacs]? It may be that you have missed something in the
configuration, or an additional package, that may improve your view of
it."

Like John I am an Emacs disliker. I agree with him that what Emacs gives
back does not compensate the learning effort. One thing I dislike is
exactly the fact that it is never configured right, and it is not easy
to (re)configure and/or add packages. However it is still the best free
editor for Ada on Linux, which is funny to say the least. On Windows
AdaGIDE rules.

--MAA

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 14:51         ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-04-03 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:26:14 +0100,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E1rio_Amado_Alves?= <maa@liacc.up.pt> wrote:

>"As a matter of interest, what is it in particular that you [John] don't
>like [about Emacs]? It may be that you have missed something in the
>configuration, or an additional package, that may improve your view of
>it."
>
>Like John I am an Emacs disliker.

The other John you mean :-)

>I agree with him that what Emacs gives back does not compensate the
>learning effort.

Obviously I disagree, but I have been using Emacs for about 10 years
starting from when it was either Emacs or Vi on SunOS. Now that the
full implementation has been available for Windows for a number of
years, I find it indispensable!

>One thing I dislike is exactly the fact that it is never configured
>right, and it is not easy to (re)configure and/or add packages.

I'm not sure what you mean by configure here. Emacs is almost
infinitely configrable. Perhaps this is its downfall in your view?

>However it is still the best free editor for Ada on Linux, which is
>funny to say the least. On Windows AdaGIDE rules.

Why not Emacs on Windows? I have AdaGIDE (6.26) and find it seriously
lacking compared to Emacs. How, for example, do you configure AdaGIDE
to use a non-GNAT compiler?

* RE: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 15:55           ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2002-04-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> ... Like John I am an Emacs disliker.

> The other John you mean :-)

Stoneham, yes. Sorry McCabe.

>> I agree with him that what Emacs gives back does not compensate the
>> learning effort.

> Obviously I disagree, but I have been using Emacs for about 10 years

See what we mean? ;-)

> Emacs is almost infinitely configrable. Perhaps this is its downfall
in your view?

Perhaps, undirectly, yes, because that generality is achieved in part at
the cost of the userfriendliness of the configuration prodedures.

>> However it is still the best free editor for Ada on Linux, which is
>> funny to say the least. On Windows AdaGIDE rules.

Why not Emacs on Windows? I have AdaGIDE (6.26) and find it seriously
lacking compared to Emacs. How, for example, do you configure AdaGIDE to
use a non-GNAT compiler?

I suppose you don't, as other compilers e.g. ObjectAda come with
environments of their own which also 'beat' Emacs on the same criteria
(user-friendliness, graphical niceness... ;-)

BTW in my opinion the best free editor for readability out there is
jGRASP. I'm planning to reinstall it. Hope the few bugs it had some time
ago are smashed by now.

Cheers,
--MAA

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 16:17             ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-04-03 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:55:56 +0100,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E1rio_Amado_Alves?= <maa@liacc.up.pt> wrote:

>> Obviously I disagree, but I have been using Emacs for about 10 years

>See what we mean? ;-)

Err - no!

>> Emacs is almost infinitely configrable. Perhaps this is its downfall
>in your view?
>
>Perhaps, undirectly, yes, because that generality is achieved in part at
>the cost of the userfriendliness of the configuration prodedures.

It's certainly better now than it used to be, with Customization
options on the menus.

>>> However it is still the best free editor for Ada on Linux, which is
>>> funny to say the least. On Windows AdaGIDE rules.

>>Why not Emacs on Windows? I have AdaGIDE (6.26) and find it seriously
>>lacking compared to Emacs. How, for example, do you configure AdaGIDE to
>>use a non-GNAT compiler?

>I suppose you don't, as other compilers e.g. ObjectAda come with
>environments of their own which also 'beat' Emacs on the same criteria
>(user-friendliness, graphical niceness... ;-)

But even ObjectAda allows you to specify an external editor, and
provides command line tools access and an externally accessible
debugger API (I think - it was on its way when I last used ObjectAda
and I thought Stephen Leake had developed some Emacs code to use it).

>BTW in my opinion the best free editor for readability out there is
>jGRASP. I'm planning to reinstall it. Hope the few bugs it had some time
>ago are smashed by now.

That's presumably a java tool - isn't it dog slow?

* RE: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 17:36               ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2002-04-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Emacs is certainly better now than it used to be, with Customization
options on
> the menus.

Yes, but not enough for me. I still find the structure and operation
confusing. But the again, it might be merely subjective.

>> BTW in my opinion the best free editor for readability out there is
>> jGRASP. I'm planning to reinstall it. Hope the few bugs it had some
>> time ago are smashed by now.

> That's presumably a java tool - isn't it dog slow?

Yes it is written in Java. (It used to be in C, I think.) But no, it is
not slow. And does prety complex things too. You should have a look see.
/* As was already noted here on CLA, Java's reputation for being slow is
mostly false. */

--MAA

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 18:56         ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-04-03 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

M�rio Amado Alves <maa@liacc.up.pt> writes:

> Like John I am an Emacs disliker. I agree with him that what Emacs gives
> back does not compensate the learning effort. One thing I dislike is
> exactly the fact that it is never configured right, and it is not easy
> to (re)configure and/or add packages.

I have exactly the same comment about MS Visual Studio :). By
"configured right" I mean "does what I want it to do".

> However it is still the best free editor for Ada on Linux, which is
> funny to say the least. On Windows AdaGIDE rules.

Certainly if you find AdaGIDE to be perfect (or at least Great), you
will never like Emacs. To each his/her own!

I must point out that there is _no_ way to "add packages" to AdaGIDE,
so you seem to be somewhat inconsistent here.

In the same vein, it is very difficult for me to write a new package
for MSVS, whereas I can easily (and have) write new packages for
Emacs. Open Source rules!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-03 19:05                 ` Larry Hazel
From: Larry Hazel @ 2002-04-03 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

M�rio Amado Alves wrote:

> >> BTW in my opinion the best free editor for readability out there is
> >> jGRASP. I'm planning to reinstall it. Hope the few bugs it had some
> >> time ago are smashed by now.
>
> > That's presumably a java tool - isn't it dog slow?
>
> Yes it is written in Java. (It used to be in C, I think.) But no, it is
> not slow. And does prety complex things too. You should have a look see.
> /* As was already noted here on CLA, Java's reputation for being slow is
> mostly false. */
>
> --MAA

I tried jGRASP.  It is painfully slow.

Larry

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-04  4:35                 ` Larry A Barowski
From: Larry A Barowski @ 2002-04-04  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

M�rio Amado Alves <maa@liacc.up.pt> wrote in message news:<mailman.1017855424.17230.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> > Emacs is certainly better now than it used to be, with Customization
>  options on
> > the menus.
>
> Yes, but not enough for me. I still find the structure and operation
> confusing. But the again, it might be merely subjective.
>
> >> BTW in my opinion the best free editor for readability out there is
> >> jGRASP. I'm planning to reinstall it. Hope the few bugs it had some
> >> time ago are smashed by now.
>
> > That's presumably a java tool - isn't it dog slow?
>
> Yes it is written in Java. (It used to be in C, I think.) But no, it is
> not slow. And does prety complex things too. You should have a look see.
> /* As was already noted here on CLA, Java's reputation for being slow is
> mostly false. */

     On a fairly new machine speed is not a problem.
jGRASP is usable on a P300. On a P500, startup time and
first-time dialog popup time may be just a bit annoying.
On anything much faster than that, you won't worry about
speed. It is a bit slower on Linux than Windows, and if
you run under JDK 1.2.X, significantly slower than
on JDK 1.3 or higher.

     Java itself is not slow, but the Swing gui library
is when compared to others (Swing is also very flexible
and allows rapid gui development). CSD diagram generation
in jGRASP, which is mostly array access, takes about
2.5 times longer in Java than in C, and Java is doing
array bounds checking while C is not.

-Larry Barowski (jGRASP developer)

@ 2002-04-04 12:13           ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2002-04-04 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"I must point out that there is _no_ way to "add packages" to AdaGIDE,
so you seem to be somewhat inconsistent here." (Stephe)

Not really. I don't want to add packages. I don’t like to do it. So I
prefer a tool that does not require me to do it.

"In the same vein, it is very difficult for me to write a new package
for MSVS, whereas I can easily (and have) write new packages for Emacs.
Open Source rules!"

AdaGIDE is open source, and it is written in Ada. Can you really beat
that for flexibility? ;-)

Cheers,
--MAA

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-04 14:59             ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-04-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

M�rio Amado Alves <maa@liacc.up.pt> writes:

> "I must point out that there is _no_ way to "add packages" to AdaGIDE,
> so you seem to be somewhat inconsistent here." (Stephe)
>
> Not really. I don't want to add packages. I don�t like to do it. So I
> prefer a tool that does not require me to do it.

Ok, but you listed "easy to add packages" as a criterium for an IDE.

> "In the same vein, it is very difficult for me to write a new
> package for MSVS, whereas I can easily (and have) write new packages
> for Emacs. Open Source rules!"
>
> AdaGIDE is open source, and it is written in Ada. Can you really beat
> that for flexibility? ;-)

Good point. However, an interpreted environment is better for
customizing an editor, because it is such an intensly user-interactive
situation. Editors are one application where Ada would _not_ be my
first choice language, at least for the guru-level
scripting/customizing.

Maybe there will be an interpreted Ada look-alike language for
scripting AdaGIDE sometime? DEC had TPU, which was at least
Pascal-like and interpreted. Is TPU still around?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-04 15:12               ` Ingo Marks
                                 ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-04-04 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> Maybe there will be an interpreted Ada look-alike language for
> scripting AdaGIDE sometime? DEC had TPU, which was at least
> Pascal-like and interpreted. Is TPU still around?

Maybe Ada/Ed (Ada95 interpreter) is something for you.

http://www.icewalk.com/softlib/app/app_00184.html
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/lang/ada

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-04 15:22               ` Marin David Condic
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-04-04 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

TPU was the greatest invention since TECO. A *real* programmer doesn't need
anything beyond TECO for developing code. :-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2002-04-04 16:46               ` Mário Amado Alves
From: Mário Amado Alves @ 2002-04-04 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Not really. I don't want to add packages. I don’t like to do it. So I

>> prefer a tool that does not require me to do it.

> Ok, but you listed "easy to add packages" as a criterium for an IDE.

No, only for those requiring/letting you do it. But never mind.

> . . . Editors are one application where Ada would _not_ be my first
choice
> language, at least for the guru-level scripting/customizing.

Perhaps but if and only if you are and/or want to be a guru in that
area. I'd say if you're a seasoned Emacs fan, yes ;-)

> Maybe there will be an interpreted Ada look-alike language for
scripting
> AdaGIDE sometime? DEC had TPU, which was at least Pascal-like and
interpreted.
> Is TPU still around?

The only scripting version of Ada I knew is BUSH. But now I've become
aware of the existence of Ada/Ed (cf. previous message in this thread).

Cheers,
--MAA

@ 2002-04-04 22:54               ` rstuckart
From: rstuckart @ 2002-04-04 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04 Apr 2002 09:59:34 -0500, Stephen Leake
<stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Maybe there will be an interpreted Ada look-alike language for
>scripting AdaGIDE sometime? DEC had TPU, which was at least
>Pascal-like and interpreted. Is TPU still around?

nu/TPU is available from     http://www.asoft-dev.com/

It's not free - not even cheap.

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-05  1:43                 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-04-05  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <a8hr4k$rdn$1@nh.pace.co.uk>, "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> writes:
> TPU was the greatest invention since TECO. A *real* programmer doesn't need
> anything beyond TECO for developing code. :-)

It is what I use all the time, and what I am using to compose
this response.

@ 2002-04-05  8:01               ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2002-04-05  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Maybe there will be an interpreted Ada look-alike language for
> scripting AdaGIDE sometime? DEC had TPU, which was at least
> Pascal-like and interpreted. Is TPU still around?

I am working with an emulation of eve/tpu on my DEC-alpha
with my own comfortable macros written in tpu.
When updating my macros, I simply eve-edit the tpu text,
let compile it by eve and produce a new eve basis.
The TPU-language is similar to Ada and an editor in pure Ada
would be a fine thing.

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: cross-platform source code editor
@ 2002-04-05 14:09                 ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2002-04-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Agreed. You don't even need a compiler. Just write one in TECO.
:-)