* Re: digital search trees
@ 2000-05-08  0:00 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Gerald Ang wrote:

|hey guys, anyone knows anything about digital search trees or knows
|where I can find the resource!!!

What'd you want to know?

Another term to searcg for is "TRIE." There are plenty examples on the web
- but I didn't find any example code in Ada.

Aho, Hopcroft, Ullman "Data Structures and Alogrithms" cover the topic
nicely.

You can use the links from my pages to data strcuture texts etc. for more.

One link: http://hissa.nist.gov/dads/HTML/trie.html

If you need more help -ask.

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!

* Re: digital search trees
@ 2000-05-09  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39183a0f$0$11553@motown.iinet.net.au>,
  "yahoo" <cool> wrote:

> Exactly my point. Well put.

Please, give context, if you want anyone to understand what
you are referring to. If you are just sending a private message
to someone else, then please use email! Posts with no context
are useless!

It's important to learn how to post in newsgroups and follow
the rules if you want to play in this sandpit :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* digital search trees
@ 2000-05-09  0:00 Gerald Ang
From: Gerald Ang @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-05-09  0:00 ` yahoo
From: yahoo @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You don't happen to be doing the assignment about symbolised search tree and
study at Edith Cowan University?

@ 2000-05-09  0:00   ` Gerald Ang
From: Gerald Ang @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

yes I am what about you? Are you doinf the same unit and in the same uni?

From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-05-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3917EE5D.BCCA7D8A@student.ecu.edu.au>,
  tmang@student.ecu.edu.au wrote:
> yes I am what about you? Are you doinf the same unit and in
the same uni?

It seems clear that this is going a bit beyond what is
appropriate for requests for help. I notified the appropriate
department so that they can explain what is and what is not
appropriate.

As I said in my previous message to this same poster, it is
fine to ask very specific questions on specific Ada problems,
but what we have here looks far too close to asking for someone
to do their work for them.

As I have noted many times before, with my hat on as a
university professor, you do students a huge disservice
by doing the work for them, because assignments are NOT
about turning in working code, they are about learning HOW
to figure out the problems for yourself.

Now in the process of figuring out problems for yourself, you
may hit a wall on a specific problem. Usually I would expect
your professor or instructor to be the one to help out (that's
certainly how I work when I am teaching, which is why you don't
see my students asking for help on CLA -- instead they send ME
the email, and I answer super high priority -- it's part of
the job of teaching in my view).

But if for some reason, your instructor is not available to
help, then it is just fine to ask *specific* questions here.
You have to be careful with the answers sometimes, because
all kinds of people post on CLA, and wrong answers are not
unknown :-)

@ 2000-05-10  0:00           ` yahoo
From: yahoo @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok Ok, my mistake so let me rephrase what I was trying to say.

I agreed with you totally when it comes to asking a question regarding an
assignment that you are doing in a newsgroup.

I'm also a student from Edith Cowan University (same as Gerald) and I'm
taking the same unit and doing the same assignment. And to be quite honest I
don't like what's going on right now when I see my fellow classmate (even
though I don't know him personally) asking a question abt how to do his
assignment. Because he should be doing this like 2months ago when the
assignment was given out! Sorry Gerald, I don't mean to "expose" you to the
public but I kept seeing this happening every semester and every year.

I had my fair share of ups and downs with the assignment because my
symbolised search tree is not yet FULLY functional and I doubt I will get it
fully working when it dues. But I understand the concept which I think it's
more important that just trying to understand the code itself.

* Re: digital search trees
@ 2000-05-10  0:00       ` yahoo
From: yahoo @ 2000-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Exactly my point. Well put.

* Re: digital search trees
@ 2000-05-13  0:00             ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2000-05-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39191df0$0$11554@motown.iinet.net.au>, "yahoo" <cool> writes:
> Ok Ok, my mistake so let me rephrase what I was trying to say.
>
> I agreed with you totally when it comes to asking a question regarding an
> assignment that you are doing in a newsgroup.
>
> I'm also a student from Edith Cowan University (same as Gerald) and I'm
> taking the same unit and doing the same assignment. And to be quite honest I
> don't like what's going on right now when I see my fellow classmate (even
> though I don't know him personally) asking a question abt how to do his
> assignment. Because he should be doing this like 2months ago when the
> assignment was given out! Sorry Gerald, I don't mean to "expose" you to the
> public but I kept seeing this happening every semester and every year.

Perhaps not for your assignment, but take heart in the fact that
there is another newsgroup where students asking homework questions
get a series of incorrect responses that are ridiculous to someone
who does not know the material but just might be turned in as their
own work by someone who has not been studying.

Ada people are a bit too evangelistic to do that.