From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Adasockets storage problem
Date: 17 Feb 2002 07:09:45 +0000
Date: 2002-02-17T07:09:45+00:00	[thread overview]

"Nazgul" <darkelf@aim.homelinux.com> writes:

> I'm using the Adasockets library to have network funcionallity in a
> program.  The problem is, it works fine if the server and the client
> are both running in the same architecture, for example i386, but
> when the server runs in a HP-UX and the client in i386, the client
> raises and STORAGE_ERROR when receiving a string.
>
> I suppose it's something about little endian/big endian and using
> htons(), htonl(),... like in C, but I don't know how to fix it.

It may well be.

We've used the GLADE version of System.Stream_Attributes, now in
glade-3.14p-src/Garlic/s-stratt.adb - you don't need the full GLADE
runtime, just (!) compile this file on its own (with -gnatg) and link
with it, at each end of your connection. You may need -I- to get the
compilation to actually see this file, and there may be other parts of
the RTL that need recompiling (I think they get compiled with inlining
on, -gnatn, so there's a dependency on s-stratt.adb that you weren't
expecting).

I wouldn't be surprised if this use also affected what happens when
you use Ada.Streams.Stream_IO.