From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org>
Subject: does a safer language mean it is slower to run?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:55:51 -0500	[thread overview]

Some folks in this thread

https://discourse.julialang.org/t/comparison-of-rust-to-julia-for-scientific-computing/78508

"I’m not an expert, but my feeling is that Rust is a “safer” language,
which to me means it must be slower."

etc..

Some in that thread seem to argue that a safer language
will/could be slower than otherwise.

Since Ada is known to be one of the safest languages,
do others here feel there is any truth to this?

I thought that by having more type information in the language,
the compile will be able to make more optimizations (because it
know more), and hence the generated code should actually be
faster, not slower with a language that is less safe?

I am not a compiler expert but what do others here think?

--Nasser