From: Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org>
Subject: Re: Creating tempfile takes too long: GNAT or Windows bug? (& GtkAda)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:46:42 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2002-10-11T10:46:42+00:00	[thread overview]

Warren W. Gay VE3WWG wrote:
> Forgive me if I don't quite have the facts correct here, because it's
> been a while since I last worked with GtkAda...

OK :-)

> My main concern was with the implementation of certain aspects of
> GtkAda, concerning the use of typing. It seemed to me that there are
> too many places that require "data conversions" to occur in the
> application source code (I am thinking of parameters in certain
> callbacks where there was some sort of function to mangle things into
> the right type). It seems to me that there should be a better way to
> handle this correctly. Either through generics, or through the
> object'Class mechanism using inheritance. Converting from a base type
> to a derived type would be acceptable IMHO, although it does have the
> disadvantage that it is not properly checked until run time (generics
> OTOH would catch problems at compile time).

Please let us know which version of GtkAda you have tried. It sounds
like it is a long time ago as I don't recognise these things in any of
the later versions (from at least 1 year ago).

> IIRC, there was a certain amount of reliance on a GStrings
> package/interface too, which annoyed me (and other seemingly C like
> types).  I would have preferred a native String interface rather than
> yet another strings package. The numeric types should not at least
> look like C types (maybe I'm just being picky about this one).

Gstrings?

> Finally, it seems that every time I try to compile a recent version of
> GtkAda on FreeBSD, it has numerous compile and install issues. This
> puts me off, as it will any user that must go through this same
> process. As a result, I give up and say "try again in a few months".

What issues?

> Are these fair comments? Or am I just getting cranky?

I find it a bit hard to relate to them as I haven't experienced these.
If you could be a bit more spesific perhaps I could see your point.

Preben
--
Ada95 is good for you.
http://libre.act-europe.fr/Software_Matters/02-C_pitfalls.pdf