From: "Björn Lundin" <b.f.lundin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: warehouse automation in ADA? robots?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 13:30:17 +0100
Date: 2019-02-27T13:30:17+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2019-02-27 11:28, Jesper Quorning wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 10:14:19 AM UTC+1, björn lundin wrote:
>
>> WCS - Warehouse Control System
>>        The system plan and carry out transports in automatic equipment.
>>        Usally the WMS manages the forklift drivers
>>
>>        Sattmate and vendor specific ones (All
>>        companies above has one but Sattmate is the only (or one of the
>>        few) non-vendor Control system that I know of (in Europe)
>
> I have heard about a system from the swedish compagny ConSafe using Ada extensively for WCS. Free from my memory they are upgrading from Ada 83 to Ada 2000-something in the Copenhagen area..
>
> Maybe somone reading CLA can confirm or reject this..?
>

>         Jesper.

I can. I am Chief Architect for Automation at Consafe Logistics SE.
The product you refer to is the one I referred to as sattmate above.
I am the chief developer/maintainer of it as well

It is a stand-alone WCS system, entirely in Ada. Was in Ada 83,
But during the years, som OO has snuck in and some 2012 features
like contracts in some low level packages (by Jacob Sparre Andersen)
and inheritance of Ada.Finalization ,
use of Ada.Directories
and Ada.Containers.*
and for x of container loops (by me)

There was also a WMS product in Ada, with which the WCS is related to
That one is pronounced End-of-Life 2021
I was one of the developers in that product too.

But we were never upgrading from Ada83 to Ada whatever as such.
When we found new features in the language, we introduced them.
Like the Ada.Directories package. Meant that I could throw out
different home-brewed directory handling on Windows and AIX/Linux and
replace it with the standard package.

The backwards compatibility of the language is great, so we were/are
never afraid of using a new compiler on old code. Had been done lots of
times, and never failed.

And yes, for the WMS, we have many customers in the Copenhagen area.
Actually, I think you'd have a hard time to find a grocery store that is
not handled by us, in Denmark. (I think there are some, but the main
ones runs Ada)

Björn