From: David Brown <dlbrown@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Streams - copying stdin to stdout
Date: 1999/02/10
Date: 1999-02-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> "Chris Miller" <chrismil@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>
> > To test the operation of Streams I wrote the following sample
> > program that copies standard input to standard output :
> >
> <snip code>
> >     while not Text_IO.End_Of_File loop
> <snip more code>
>
> > The problem is that the input file has 5 bytes, which are the characters
> > "test" plus the line feed added by vi, however the output file is only
> > 4 bytes.
>
> I suspect you want Streams_IO.End_Of_File. Text_IO adds semantics
> about line and page endings, which will get in your way.

Streams_IO.End_Of_File wants a Ada.Stremas.Stream_IO.File_Type
whereas we have either a Ada.Text_IO.Text_Streams.Stream_Access
or Ada.Text_IO.File_Type (or File_Access).

The RM doesn't say much about this.  It looks to me like Text_IO's
End_Of_File would be the one to use, but it doesn't work.

David Brown
dlbrown@acm.org