From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Is there a reason System.Storage_Pools isn't Pure?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 15:42:33 -0500
Date: 2017-04-19T15:42:33-05:00	[thread overview]

news:od743q$p4n$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> A lot of use cases conflated into single pragma Pure:
>
> 1. Value/object identity
> 2. Elaboration
> 3. Early evaluation (e.g. compile time, elaboration time)
>
> It must be reworked from the start, IMO.

More like abandoned. Our current thinking is to essentially replace it by
specifications of the Global aspect (which is stricter, so the result can be
usefully used in parallelism applications) and finer grained (so individual
subprograms can each have appropriate settings, no more "everything in the
package has to be the same").

That would leave the only real purposes of Pure to be distribution and
elaboration; the former uses don't want access types at all, and the latter
can be handled just using Preelaborate does the job. (Ergo: most of what was
done to Pure in Ada 2005 was a mistake, an attempt to fix the muddled mess
resulting in a bigger muddled mess.)

                                       Randy.