From: "Alejandro R. Mosteo" <alejandro@mosteo.com>
Subject: Re: Updated PragmAda Reusable Components
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 12:45:27 +0200
Date: 2016-09-07T12:45:27+02:00	[thread overview]

On 05/09/16 21:04, PragmAda Software Engineering wrote:
> There are some new components in the beta version of the PragmARCs for
> ISO/IEC 8652:2007: PragmARC.Concurrent_Pipeline and PragmARC.Holders.
>

> Concurrent_Pipeline was inspired by discussions of the Rx approach to
> concurrency, such as RxJava, in which a sequence of operations are
> chained together from a source to a sink, the operations being able to
> proceed in parallel but only one execution of a given operation at a
> time. If one ignores the Rx syntax and concentrates on providing the
> functionality in a way that's natural for Ada, it becomes fairly simple:
> Concurrent_Pipeline is 45 Ada terminator semicolons.
>
> I haven't looked at the Rx approach in detail, so there may be
> differences between it and Concurrent_Pipeline.

Very interested, thank you. My own efforts at a more to-the-letter RxAda
are at

https://bitbucket.org/amosteo/rxada

Still at the early stages but already with some interesting operators to
play with.

> It's not clear that Concurrent_Pipeline pipeline is needed; it seems the
> same functionality could be achieved with PragmARC.Job_Pools. It may be
> a more natural approach for some problems, though.
>
> Holders provides variables for indefinite types; something like it is
> needed to allow the operations in a Concurrent_Pipeline to proceed in
> parallel. It was also not strictly needed, as the same functionality
> could be obtained with an indefinite container that is only used to
> store a single value.

Ada 2012 has Ada.Containers.Indefinite_Holders for this, I guess you
already know but need it for the 95 version.

Álex.