From: "John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Optimizing Ada
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:58:07 -0400
Date: 2013-10-02T14:58:07-04:00	[thread overview]

In article <l2g6i7$8mm$1@dont-email.me>,
 Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:

> On 10/01/2013 08:53 PM, kennethesills@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Ada is the fastest correct implementation you have.
> >
> > Yes. However, is case sensitivity the reason for a 2.7x slow down?
> > Highly unlikely. In fact, using case-sensitive comparisons in Ada
> > only reduce the time taken by around 50ns. So I just disregarded
> > that fact.
>
> I agree that the implementation of Indefinite_Hashed_Maps is probably
> the culprit, but until you have an apples-to-apples comparison, you
> have no complaint. (Actually, I can't think of any application that
> could use such a function where the difference would prevent it from
> meeting reasonable timing requirements, so you probably have no
> complaint anyway.)

kennethesills: For comparison with Indefinite_Hashed_Maps, this example
uses an instance of Ada.Strings.Bounded.Generic_Bounded_Length as the
Key_Type in an instance of Ada.Containers.Hashed_Maps. Your problem
domain may suggest a suitable maximum length.

<http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/jumble.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com