From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Understanding generic package functions
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 00:59:33 -0600
Date: 2015-11-03T00:59:33-06:00	[thread overview]

"Nick Gordon" <annihilan@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:cb181260-a5d3-4b5b-9a40-c925f7100b93@googlegroups.com...
> My thought is that I have to create a new instance of the
> Generic_Elementary_Functions
> package, but I'm not sure if that's correct, or how to do that.

Jeff gave you the long answer, which is better for most purposes.
Specifically for type Float (which you really should avoid itself,
preferring to use types of your own definition), Ada offers a
pre-instantiated version of the package called
"Ada.Numerics.Elementary_Functions", so you could use that instead.

> In general, I'm noticing that the learning curve for Ada is steep, and
> there are not
> terribly many "quick references" for the language.

Ada Distilled is the best "quick reference", but there's really nothing
quick about using Ada. It's a professional level tool and thus it has lots
of things that you need to know. (Consider the difference between using a
home copy machine and a professional offset printing press.)

                                   Randy.