From: mheaney@ni.net (Matthew Heaney)
Subject: Re: File handling
Date: 1997/10/15
Date: 1997-10-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <343F4BE1.F669CC82@norssi.helsinki.fi>, horn@norssi.helsinki.fi
wrote:

>Is the package Ada.Text_IO only way to handle files?
>Are there procedures like Turbo Pascal's BlockRead and
>BlockWrite in Ada 95?

I haven't done any Turbo Pascal programming in a while, so I'm not sure
what you mean by BlockRead and BlockWrite.  But there are other I/O
pacakges in Ada:

Ada.Sequential_IO
Ada.Direct_IO
Ada.Streams.Stream_IO

One of the strengths of Ada is that, by a very deliberate design choice,
I/O wasn't built into the language (they didn't want to marry the language
to I/O technology that would become obsolete in a few years; see the Ada 83
Rationale for the gory details).  Yes, Ada comes with predefined I/O
packages (the ones listed above), but if these don't meet your needs then
you can just roll your own I/O package that does what you exactly what you
want.

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>