From: Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Convert a Wide_String (or a Wide_Character) to an Integer.
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 14:38:24 -0700
Date: 2015-02-10T14:38:24-07:00	[thread overview]

On 02/10/2015 02:16 PM, lomoscompany@gmail.com wrote:
> Why does it have to be so damn complicated?

It isn't.

> How does one convert a Wide_String into a normal String? Or, in my case, a Wide_Character to a Character.

The package Ada.Characters.Conversions defines functions To_Character, which
convert a [Wide_]Wide_Character to Character. There are also similar To_String
functions. See ARM A.3.4:

http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/standards/12rm/html/RM-A-3-4.html

Anyone using Ada should be familiar with the contents of ARM Annex A, which
defines the standard library.

>     -- NEED TO RETURN AN INTEGER CREATED FROM A SINGLE CHARACTER IN A WIDE
>     -- STRING HERE

To convert a single character to an integer value presumes that the character is
a digit. That can be converted more simply with

Character'Pos (Char) - Character'Pos ('0')

Presuming that the digits are contiguous beginning with '0' for Wide_Character,
this would work with Wide_Character'Pos as well.

--
Jeff Carter
"Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!"