From: Michael Bode <m.g.bode@web.de>
Subject: Re: Ada way to read/write to character file
Date: 09 Jan 2002 21:38:42 +0100
Date: 2002-01-09T21:38:42+01:00	[thread overview]

Georg Bauhaus <sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> writes:

> The point is, I think, that Text_I/O is for text, where text refers
> to the Ada notion of text, which includes lines, columns, pages and
> what not; all of these give special meaning to some Character values
> that you might not want to be that special for your devices.

As far as I have seen all those devices use quite simple textual
structures i.e. normal ASCII printable characters, CR, LF and maybe
ESC. I'm not 100% sure as this is my first real Ada program, but I
would expect no problems with this and Ada.Text_IO.

For your other points: all that may be true in general and therefore
must be considered in a true standard package. But for my small world
of Windows and Linux PCs Ada.Text_IO with a r/w mode would work. But
it is not there and I wanted to make sure that I had not overlooked
something. It was not really a big deal to write my own package and I
had some practice in writing C bindings to OS functions too.