From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: I/O streaming with custom data transport
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 05:48:38 +0000
Date: 2006-11-23T05:48:38+00:00	[thread overview]

Maciej Sobczak <no.spam@no.spam.com> writes:

> But what about buffering the input/output. Is this already done
> (where?) or is this something I have to take care of?

I would expect the OS to do this in most cases. However .. I have in
mind, for a work problem, using an alternate transport layer for a
message stream where we use GNAT.Sockets at present, and for that I
will have to do the buffering that the new transport requires
myself. The users will be unaware, though there will be an issue when
the stream is closed (the last buffer will have to be padded and
flushed). This sort of thing could be handled in a Close operation on
the new stream type. And of course there will have to be some means of
associating the new stream type with the underlying stream.