From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Homebrew, GNAT
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 09:51:15 +0100	[thread overview]

Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On 1 Jun 2021, Simon Wright wrote
> (in article <lyo8cpzhus.fsf@pushface.org>):
>
>> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>>
>> > Since releasing GCC 11.1.0 for macOS (at Sourceforge and now Github[1]),
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/simonjwright/building-gcc-macos-native/releases/tag/gcc
>> -11.1.0.1
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> how does that relate to GNAT CE 2021?
> I see that AdaCore have not released a version for macOS.

No; and apparently GNAT CE 2021 is going to be the last CE release for
any target.

It is possible to build CE 2021 for macOS (I and another on the GNAT-OSX
miling list are disagreeing somewhat on how to configure for this), but
at some point we have to bite the bullet.

What I'm not sure of is gnatprove. If the compiler sources don't match
what gnatprove expects you'll get build failures or, at best, runtime
failures. And how far could you trust it even if it appeared to work?

Of course, if you need to trust it you'll be happy to pay.