From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: macOS Ventura 13.6 update problem
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 20:35:07 +0000	[thread overview]

moi <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On 18/11/2023 14:22, Martin Krischik wrote:
>> moi schrieb am Freitag, 22. September 2023 um 22:02:21 UTC+2:
>>> Installing the macOS Ventura 13.6 security update clobbers GNAT.
>> Great. I already put off major macOS updated because I don't want to
>> break a working system. Now I need to avoid „security“ updates as
>> well. The „just works“ sale point is eroding.
>
> It was actually the well hidden update of the Command Line Tools
> accompanying th security update that caused the problem.
> Just make sure to unselect the CLT update.
>
>>> Simon's "magic formula", '-largs -Wl,-ld_classic' restores sanity.
>> Now I have to find out how that works.
>
> Just add "-largs -Wl,-ld_classic" to the linker parameters,
> if you have updated the CLTs.

e.g.   gnatmake foo.adb -largs -Wl,-ld_classic
or     gprbuild -P foo -largs -Wl,-ld_classic
or     alr build -- -largs -Wl,-ld_classic

The GNAT tools use gcc to drive the system linker ld. When gcc sees
-Wl,-foo,bar it sends "-foo bar" to ld (the 'l' means 'linker'; see the
GCC switches web page for the other possibilities).

When /usr/bin/ld (from Xcode 15) sees -ld_classic, rather than taking it
as an instruction to process libld_classic.{a,dylib}, it delegates the
actual link to /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/ld-classic.

Wow.

You could always download the 15.1 beta version of the tools package
from developer.apple.com