From: "Jeff C," <jcreem@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Longstanding GNAT bug, bad code, or both -- Answer..Bad code.
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:07:14 GMT
Date: 2004-08-07T14:07:14+00:00	[thread overview]

Ok. I submitted a bugzilla report and it has already been cancelled.
Apparently, declaring a variable as aliased makes it contrained.  (According
to one of the gcc Ada maintainers)

I did spend a little time looking through the LRM for this but
obviously not enough. It seemed a little counter-intutitive since one might
think that given an aliased
variable one would have to really worry about the discriminant changing all
the time, so why was the compiler
surprised when it did.......After thinking about it, it is probably
why the rule was created since I suppose otherwise the alias
detection/contraint checking would get pretty hard and
potentially computationally expensive at run time...

Of course I could be wrong about why the rule is what it is...but I am
willing to believe it.