From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: need help learning Ada for a modula-2 programmer
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:43:49 -0600
Date: 2014-01-29T14:43:49-06:00	[thread overview]

"Dirk Heinrichs" <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de> wrote in message
news:lcbc0j$cci$1@online.de...
> agent@drrob1.com wrote:
>
>> with Ada.Calendar; use Ada.Calendar;
>> Package timliba is
>>
>> --  REVISION HISTORY
>> --  ----------------
>> --   6 Oct 13 -- Converted to gm2.  And changed its name.
>> --  19 Jan 14 -- Converted to Ada.
>>

> You've already received some valuable on-topic replies, so here's an off-
> topic (but hopefully as valuable) one ;)
>
> You should avoid putting the revision history _into_ your files. It's the
> job of your version control system to handle this. Putting it into the
> file
> increases the probability of getting merge conflicts.

I strongly disagree with this advice. The time to write revision history
entries is when you are either about to write the code or just finished
doing so (and more rarely, in the middle). That's when all of the important
issues are fresh in your mind. It's definitely not at check-in time, which
occurs after all testing is completed. For the Janus/Ada compiler, that
means after running the entire ACATS and in-house test suites (twice, in
Ada2007 mode and Ada95 mode). That's at a minumum 4 hours later - by which
time you're likely to have forgotten half of the information that ought to
be in the change log. It's also important to have it in the file if the
source is likely to be separated from the version control at some point --
which is almost envitable in today's world (for instance, when the version
control in use is changed).

The point about merges is correct, except that it really isn't a problem
with a manual merge (what's one more difference out of dozens?). Assuming
you have a proper tool for doing those (a multi-window editor with a good
window-comparison tool), there is no problem. I'd agree that an automated
merge might have problems, but for me, the idea that an automated merge is
of any value is laughable. For an automated merge to have any value, it has
to know all of the contents of the two new files and the contents of
whatever file they originated from. But that latter item is unknowable in
general - even the programmers don't know it accurately. One might imagine
that very strict rules about version control use would help; but I've never
been on a programming team that didn't break whatever rules were in place
from time-to-time. And some people (like my co-founder) were completely
incapable of following any rules whatsoever, no matter how easy and
unobstrusive they might be.

IMHO, if your depending on merges, especially automated merges, to keep your
version control consistent, you're already in trouble. You're probably
losing a percentage of your team's work every day.

                                                 Randy.