From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Where's the goodies?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:50:24 GMT
Date: 2001-08-20T20:50:24+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3B815D9C.9C22AA7A@san.rr.com>, Darren New says...

>and such. What I'll definitely need is byte-oriented I/O to files and
>sockets (i.e., raw binary files), as well as access to directories and

I should point out that this can be done portably with the routines in
Ada.Streams.Stream_IO and Ada.Streams.Write and Ada.Streams.Read.

>My question is, where's the goodies? These things have to be out there,
>but there's no documentation about them in the GNAT distribution that

If you are on Windows and installed to the default place, you have a full Win32
binding in c:/GNAT/Bindings/Win32Ada . Of course you can only legally use it if
you have a licensed copy of the C header files (eg: VC++). The rest of the
included stuff is in c:/GNAT/lib/gcc-lib/pentium-mingw32msv/2.8.1/adainclude (I
know what you are saying, "Why didn't I think to look there?" :-)  ). The file
names are kinda cryptic. Look particularly at all the g-* files, as those are
the "Gnat" hierarchy. "g-regexp" for instance is the regular-expression matching
stuff.

As for stuff that *doesn't* come with Gnat, check out my homepage for a small
selection that I use (if you find dead links, tell me). Also check out
http://www.adapower.com/reuse/index.html

---