From: anon@att.net
Subject: Re: Passing shell arguments to Ada programs the Linux way
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 05:44:07 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2011-07-03T05:44:07+00:00	[thread overview]

Ada is defined as an "Operating System independent" language. Which means
if it works in Linux it MUST work for all Operating Systems not just Linux.

And most want their programs to work in Linux, Windows, etc. So, for Ada
users we process the "command line" by the definition set in the RM by
using the package "Ada.Command_Line".

In other way, is a waste of time for Ada users.

Note: As for "GNAT.Command_Line", well it can only be found in Adacore's
GNAT Ada. Which some will say it not a standard RM Ada package, so why
use it. because it might disappear next year. Which means the programmer
may have to support that package that they do not fully understand. The
problem with Adacore's non RM packages (GNAT.*, and a lot of System.*)
is that they are to "Operating System" dependant.

Also, "Ada.Command_Line" will work for Linux 3.x. Will these others
packages, that's the question. This is the problem when designing packages
for Linux at the end of a major design steam such as Linux 0.x, 1.x and 2,x
and now 3.x.