From: Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Binary opperations under Ada?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:17:29 -0700
Date: 2010-08-20T17:17:29-07:00	[thread overview]

On 08/20/2010 04:23 PM, Trogdor wrote:

> -) I want to read in a raw binary file and perform bit manipulation
> on the data.
>
> -) I vaguely remember seeing a post about a module package for low
> level stuff, cut han no longer find it in the group.

For I/O, you may be thinking of seqeuntial or direct I/O, or streams. You can
find the packages Ada.Sequential_IO, Ada.Direct_IO, and Ada.Streams.Stream_IO in
the ARM, Annex A, which is quite readable:

http://www.adaic.org/standards/05rm/html/RM-TOC.html

For bit manipulation, you can use (packed) arrays of Boolean or modular types.
The former existed in Ada 83 and the latter were introduced in Ada 95; both
should be covered in any good text.

But it's better to talk about what you want to do than how you think you should
do it. Sometimes you might find a better way to do something.

"I would never want to belong to any club that
would have someone like me for a member."
Annie Hall
41