From: Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Least Dangerous Way to Do This ?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 09:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-10-16T09:07:56-07:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 1:36:09 PM UTC-6, pat...@spellingbeewinnars.org wrote:
> Okay, I worked through the last piece. You know what I am doing.....
>
> I am thinking about using the Ada.XXX and Gnat.XXX libraries from GnuCOBOL !
>
> Hee-hee, I know COBOL isn't going to have a lot of fans here but it is actually a lot of fun.

Ada has a whole section in Annex B for interfacing to COBOL -- "B.4 Interfacing with COBOL" -- online here: http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/2xrm/html/RM-B-4.html

Exporting to COBOL will be as easy as saying:
  Function J return Integer
    with Export, Convention => COBOL;

And Importing is similar:
  Function K return Interfaces.COBOL.Floating
    with Import, Convention => COBOL;

Actually given Ada's ease with interfacing like this, and the SPARK provers, I'm surprised that the banking industry hasn't leveraged Ada into its infrastructure, using Ada to prove the correctness of the system and COBOL for the fast reporting/record-processing as-needed.

> I will post back with some examples just in case someone cares :)

I think that would be pretty cool.