From: Micah Waddoups <micah.waddoups@gmail.com>
Subject: Unifont static compiled and stack size...
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:16:27 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

I tried to compile the Unifont hex file, converted with a script into variable Ada code, but it went on forever, gradually blowing up my memory.  I used an .ads file and aimed for a static build, but I suspect I would have hit the stack size limit for executables if I succeeded

My request for insight is:
 (A) How do you recommend I compile the Unifont into a form that is usable within my Ada program. (I am thinking compiling C and importing, since C is so basic it might just work, but even better would be Assembly and I don't know how to import a large data variable compiled in Assembly or if I can even compile that much data using Assembly...  It should work, but the compiler might complain and I still have to figure out the importing part.)

(B) Do you think this has a chance of succeeding if I compile the font as a shared library?  That doesn't affect initial stack limits, right?

Just to be clear, I am trying to import values 0 .. 16#FFFFF#, way beyond the two byte limit that so many libraries are functionally bound by in one bottle neck or another.  I want to support something similar to 'kmscon', but with some shortcuts since I don't want to redo everything that others have done well.  I just want to finish my library to a point of usefulness and focus on other projects.  I felt compelled to create this library because every other library I looked at was broken in some way and even the most common font systems fail to support Unicode's full character range, making much of it useless.  I figured I could create the exact effects that I am trying to with Unifont both in graphical windows of various OSs, and on the Linux terminal if I rewrite enough of the low level code that I don't have to rely on the less complete existing libraries.  Admittedly, I have too little time to work on it, and am so far behind other people wonderful work that I will certainly have many holes and omitted functionality that should eventually be added later.  My goal is to both make my programming projects possible and free certain features from too restricted licensing.