From: Dan Nagle <dnagle@erols.com>
Subject: Re: New Language Design: (Cray, Sun prep radical software models for petaflops systems)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:33:19 -0500
Date: 2003-11-27T12:36:09+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:25:17 +0000 (UTC), Georg Bauhaus
<sb463ba@l1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

>Dan Nagle <dnagle@erols.com> wrote:
>: (Fortran 2003 has "Interoperability with C", which the subgroup
>: claims includes interoperability with Ada, if the Ada side is
>: also interoperating with C.  So it's C as universal assembler.)
>
>Does the interoperability include more features than are currently
>covered by Ada's Interfaces.Fortran?

IIRC (I'd have to investigate to fully recall Interfaces.Fortran),
the Ada interoperability is largely, at least, Fortran 77.

Fortran 2003 Interoperability allows passing Fortran derived types,
uses the Fortran kind system to select the interoperating types,
allows passing and converting pointers (data and procedure).  Et al.
It's intended to be a full-blown feature.

The Interoperability subgroup of J3 has assured me that
Interoperating with Ada (etc.) is possible, if the interoperating
language can interoperate with C.  Any comments from Ada
programmers regarding a perceived difficulty would be welcome,
but the Fortran standards approval process is moving quickly!

>--  Georg

BTW, if the PDF doesn't suit, you may root around the site a bit
and download the PS, text, or the LaTeX source itself.  PDF is
the "usual" format, it's the one the bureaucrats at ISO formally
read and publish.

http://www.j3-fortran.org

--
Cheers!